• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    44 replies to this topic

#1 halo3

halo3

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 1

• Members+

• 571 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

Hey so i repair 360s, any error. I use the best tools and methods for repair 360s. I don't do the xclamp, penny trick, and overheating the xclamp trick add a huge ammount of pressure on the gpu, cpu, or both which casues flexing and also on older 360s the metal case is uneven which really flexes the board so the error will come back.Posted Image
    One of the things I do is the xclamp trick hybrid which doesn't flex the 360 like the xlcamp trick

The penny trick flexes the board a huge ammount really damageing the 360. With overheating people claim it remelts the solder fixing it, well it doesn't lol. For one overheating get your 360 to well over 100C and the compassitors have a max operating temp. of 105C so your ruining those thing along with other things. Lead free solder which the 360 has melts at at least 217C so your doing nothing good for your 360 when overheating. Since I do this on the side I'm not willing to make much so I only charge $35 +return shipping and I won't charge you anything till I fix your 360, chances are I will but there are a small ammount of 360s that are unrepairable, but look since Im experianced and have the best tools and methods If can't fix your 360 no one can.
    So for more info go to Xbox 360 Smart Repairs
    To contract me my aim is itemcentral and my email is xbox360smartrepairs@yahoo.com
    ps I also do case mods for a little extra but I will spray paint your 360 for free if desired and I have elite color paint that deals with the heat so it will help your 360

Edited by halo3, 29 January 2010 - 04:52 PM.

#2 Pargy

Pargy

WTF is a Pargy?

• VIP

• 1,466 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

Learn2spellcheck

Edited by Pargy, 05 January 2010 - 05:21 PM.

#3 halo3

halo3

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 1

• Members+

• 571 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

Learn2spellcheck

what the heck!?

Edited by halo3, 05 January 2010 - 05:57 PM.

#4 Curtis

Curtis

Captain Grade 1

• Retired Staff

• 1,382 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

I'm pretty sure this guy is legit by the way,

helped me a lot with my xbox, over aim.

#5 halo3

halo3

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 1

• Members+

• 571 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

I'm pretty sure this guy is legit by the way,

helped me a lot with my xbox, over aim.

well yeah im legit lol XD and yeah thx

#6 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

well yeah im legit lol XD and yeah thx

I would advise anyone be careful dealing with this. Personally I do not know the guy, but after a brief conversation on AIM, where he attempted to flaunt his repair skills because he paid WAY too much for a reflow station, and read some forums on 360 repair.Even though I have only been doing this for years, he attempted to convince me of his awesomeness. Lots of stuff spouting from his mouth was untrue or irrelevant and came straight from bad forum topics on other sites. I asked for any references of customers he had done repairs for and he could not provide any, just consistently tried to throw out irrelevant knowledge (ie. "Do you replace the capacitors?") (ie... from me.... Are you aware that you would never need to? Are you aware that the 360 would run perfectly fine without them ????")lol. And on and on.Had a lot of talk, but most was recycled from other people on other forums. And I'm wary of people who's "experiAnce" (sorry, I had to) is strictly reading forums on xbox-scene and getting ripped off on a reflow station. And that's the only references he could provide. No real life experience. None was mentioned.

Then I jump on here to check him out. In November, he knew nothing about 360 repair. So in 2 months he has bought an expensive reflow station and found some forums. and is now a "professional".

Not dissing him (lol) as I refuse to sink to his sophomoric level, but please be wary. People like this are a dime a dozen.

Find actual people that have had repair work done by him, and how their consoles are working. Ask questions and shop around. Demand unrelated references.

I can honestly say the biggest problem with this topic is his price. The hybrid clamps themselves (besides having no value to a true repair person... BUT they were talked up by a few misinformed forums), are $10-$15 each, so if he is truly doing what he says, his material costs would exceed his charge. Either you are gonna pay Shipping and still have a broken 360, or something isn't right. Think about it.

Just some advice.

Edited by Azraelrs, 23 January 2010 - 12:45 AM.

#7 Apollo

Apollo

Apprentice Grade 2

• Members+

• 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

Yeah...I'ma trust Azraelrs on this one.

#8 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:47 AM

Ok, I didn't want to, but I can't stand the blaring misinformation in this topic. SO I will *attempt* to correct it.

1)Best tools and methods according to??? Just because you pay a lot for equipment, doesn't mean you know how to use it.

2)The older cages are not uneven in any way. That's just ridiculous. break one out and read me off the difference.

3) The penny trick's main issue is not flexing the board. The problem with it is that it is always uneven and done incorrectly. The actual issue it causes is that the uneven pressure tends to pull the solder balls loose under the GPU when the 360 gets warm and they soften. Screw warping the board. Regardless, don't ever do the penny trick, you would be truly ruining your 360.

4) Overheating the 360 is bad. But what is this claim of it damaging the "capacitors" (spelling, not mine. Yours)? Overheating your 360 just forces heat on the chips themselves and even if the console has all ventilation blocked, the only way you could hold heat on the capacitors is to have the 360 completely upside down. This has nothing to do with the actual damage you cause. All damage from this method is completely done to the chips themselves. You are not correcting the issue, only softening up some solder so that you get a connection again. You will permanently screw your console this way and it is never even a semi permanent solution (couple days to a few weeks max) As far as it is concerned "expert" go ahead and reach in and grab one of those nice caps surrounding the CPU and rip it out. Turn the 360 on... see any problems? No, you don't, they aren't necessary for your 360 to run completely normal and forever.

5) Why are you "not willing to make much"? Then why aren't you doing it for free?

6) Hmmm, rather bold statement that you are the be all end all in repair. ie "If I can't fix it (even though less than 2 months ago I had no idea in the world what I was doing and was begging for youtube video tut links ---> see this topic http://www.ibotmodz....__1#entry109362 ) then no one can". Without any experience, you have the most experience and know it all. Awesome.

7) I have to ask, honestly.. maybe I'm dumb as hell, I dunno. What the hell does spray painting the outside of the case have ANYTHING to do with controlling heat from the chips to the heatsinks to the fan shroud and out the back of the 360??? This has to be the dumbest thing ever.

Here you go, end all, know all expert... Why not give the people some actual info that's truthful and useful...

To help a lot with overheating make sure to lay your 360 horizontally instead of standing it up. Sony and Nintendo did it and so MS thought they needed to also. Sadly they didn't bother to design it that way. When your 360 is laying down, heat rises up and the fans pull it out the back. When it is standing vertically heat rises, and the fans are on bottom... GASP! So the heat builds up more in the top of your console and well, there isn't much ventilation there. So lay your consoles down.

There kid, you can have that one for free. You know my AIM when you need help getting those 360s fixed.

Edited by Azraelrs, 23 January 2010 - 02:52 AM.

#9 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:59 AM

Ok, I didn't want to, but I can't stand the blaring misinformation in this topic. SO I will *attempt* to correct it.

1)Best tools and methods according to??? Just because you pay a lot for equipment, doesn't mean you know how to use it.

2)The older cages are not uneven in any way. That's just ridiculous. break one out and read me off the difference.

3) The penny trick's main issue is not flexing the board. The problem with it is that it is always uneven and done incorrectly. The actual issue it causes is that the uneven pressure tends to pull the solder balls loose under the GPU when the 360 gets warm and they soften. Screw warping the board. Regardless, don't ever do the penny trick, you would be truly ruining your 360.

4) Overheating the 360 is bad. But what is this claim of it damaging the "capacitors" (spelling, not mine. Yours)? Overheating your 360 just forces heat on the chips themselves and even if the console has all ventilation blocked, the only way you could hold heat on the capacitors is to have the 360 completely upside down. This has nothing to do with the actual damage you cause. All damage from this method is completely done to the chips themselves. You are not correcting the issue, only softening up some solder so that you get a connection again. You will permanently screw your console this way and it is never even a semi permanent solution (couple days to a few weeks max) As far as it is concerned "expert" go ahead and reach in and grab one of those nice caps surrounding the CPU and rip it out. Turn the 360 on... see any problems? No, you don't, they aren't necessary for your 360 to run completely normal and forever.

5) Why are you "not willing to make much"? Then why aren't you doing it for free?

6) Hmmm, rather bold statement that you are the be all end all in repair. ie "If I can't fix it (even though less than 2 months ago I had no idea in the world what I was doing and was begging for youtube video tut links ---> see this topic http://www.ibotmodz....__1#entry109362 ) then no one can". Without any experience, you have the most experience and know it all. Awesome.

7) I have to ask, honestly.. maybe I'm dumb as hell, I dunno. What the hell does spray painting the outside of the case have ANYTHING to do with controlling heat from the chips to the heatsinks to the fan shroud and out the back of the 360??? This has to be the dumbest thing ever.

Here you go, end all, know all expert... Why not give the people some actual info that's truthful and useful...

To help a lot with overheating make sure to lay your 360 horizontally instead of standing it up. Sony and Nintendo did it and so MS thought they needed to also. Sadly they didn't bother to design it that way. When your 360 is laying down, heat rises up and the fans pull it out the back. When it is standing vertically heat rises, and the fans are on bottom... GASP! So the heat builds up more in the top of your console and well, there isn't much ventilation there. So lay your consoles down.

There kid, you can have that one for free. You know my AIM when you need help getting those 360s fixed.

just like to add that he doesnt understand how con files work, so why would he comprehend this?

#10 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

Also would like to add, and this is not dissing you at all, but rather your "expert" equipment.

I looked at that setup on your web page.

Some suggestions....

Take a bare board, lie it on your hotplate, use white-out to mark the four outer holes on the plate (you can do all 8 if you want) then drill those 4 holes into the hotplate, put screws in (like the ones you use for your RROD clamps, but longer (I use 2")) Secure the screws to the plate with a nice nut on top of each, then measure and place another nut 1" above the plate (making sure it's level) on each screw. Sitting the board over this will help with making sure it receives consistent bottom heat, also works much better at unwarping/unstressing the board than your "professional" setup as the gap in between your hotplate and the board allows for too much variance in air circulation and temp changes. It also requires you use a higher temp to affect the board. Which is unnecessary.

Also, take the heatgun off of that drill press and throw the press somewhere else. Used over a hot plate as I suggested, there is no benefit to the press and you lose a lot of manuverability and control. Plain ole $20 heatgun in your hands will give better results. Also from the pictures, you are sitting way too close to the board.

So... your expert equipment was $120+

My setup, which I can assure because of real life experience and knowledge will provide better results, was $40. ($20 for a heat gun, $15 for the hotplate, $5 on screws, bolts, misc.)

Just some suggestions to make things work better, and not waste so much money (which you already did) and still get the lackluster results that you inevitably will have.

#11 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

I trust Az. He is smart.

#12 Apollo

Apollo

Apprentice Grade 2

• Members+

• 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

just like to add that he doesnt understand how con files work, so why would he comprehend this?

:rofl:

I trust Az. He is smart.

:unworthy:

#13 halo3

halo3

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 1

• Members+

• 571 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

Az doesn't have the slightest clue on repairing 360s. Heatgunning has a wide heat range, you could be giving it too much heat. Also a heat gun causes major flexing and is the WORST reflow out there. As to the fact that I knew nothing about repairing 360s and randomly appeared, no I have been repairing 360s for a while and decided to online with it. Also, Az I told you I didn't learn about repairs just through xbox-scene, I learned from personal experience and months of research. Also my rework station is expensive yes, but well worth it. You need to spend money to make money and with my set-up I'm getting better results so it's worth it. About the capacitors, if they are blown sometimes you can't even turn on your 360, or it displays the 3 red rings. So what the heck do you mean without them your 360 can run perfectly fine!? With my prices I only make $10-$15, I only charge $35 now, and still that doesn't include shipping. I do this on the side and so I'm not looking to make much. So get your facts straight Az :thumbdown:

Edited by halo3, 29 January 2010 - 04:50 PM.

#14 halo3

halo3

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 1

• Members+

• 571 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

1. What do you mean? I fully know how to use my equipment, why is the world would i get soemthing I couldn't use! :veryangry:
    2. the differance is 0.75mm
    3. Yes flexing is the main issue
    4. Well if your so smart, ever bothered to read the side of 1? It says max overeating temp of 105C and with overheaitng you getting it over 105C
    5. Becasue i take a lot of pride in repairs and make sure its done right
    6.read what i said above
    7.helps take aways a little heat, not much, but anything helps

#15 halo3

halo3

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 1

• Members+

• 571 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

because i work with hardware not software <_< So what the heck? they are 2 opposite things how can you even think of comparing them!?

Btw lol sorry 3 posts in a row, maybe some can edit them to just 1 large post XD

Edited by halo3, 29 January 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#16 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

halo3, don`t try and discredit Az. Please.... Just.. Just.. save yourself the ass rape that will follow.

#17 Curtis

Curtis

Captain Grade 1

• Retired Staff

• 1,382 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

K i fixed my own xbox with x-clamp kit.

Runs good, seriously don't think u need to do much more than that.

#18 Lockon

Lockon

"I never asked for this"

• VIP

• 1,896 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:56 PM

"The easiest way to fix one,is to get a new one." - Lockon Stratos

#19 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

because i work with hardware not software <_< So what the heck? they are 2 opposite things how can you even think of comparing them!?

Btw lol sorry 3 posts in a row, maybe some can edit them to just 1 large post XD

because im not comparing them, im comparing your ability to understand them, and con files are simple, if you cant understand that, why would you understand how the 360 works?

#20 iTzoODavidOo

iTzoODavidOo

Sergeant Grade 2

• Members+

• 353 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:30 AM

[14:18] xbox360smartrepairs: hi?
    [14:18] manufan4life1993: Hi
    [14:18] xbox360smartrepairs: do you have a broken 360? or know some1 who was
    [14:19] manufan4life1993: Nope sorry
    [14:19] xbox360smartrepairs: oh ok
    [14:19] manufan4life1993: My 360 is working fine
    [14:19] manufan4life1993: If you want i can brake it?
    [14:19] xbox360smartrepairs: lol
    [14:19] manufan4life1993: lol
    [14:19] manufan4life1993: Do you have a website?
    [14:20] xbox360smartrepairs: yeah xbox360smartrepairs.webs.com (still working on it)
    [14:20] manufan4life1993: lol cool
    [14:20] xbox360smartrepairs: thx
    [14:20] manufan4life1993: How many xbox's have you fixed?
    [14:21] xbox360smartrepairs: several, lol right now i have 7 360 im fixing
    [14:21] manufan4life1993: lol
    [14:22] manufan4life1993: Is it easy?
    [14:22] xbox360smartrepairs: for me at any rate
    [14:22] manufan4life1993: I no you have to x-clamp it or something
    [14:22] xbox360smartrepairs: no
    [14:23] manufan4life1993: o
    [14:23] xbox360smartrepairs: xclamp fix is the worst fix
    [14:23] manufan4life1993: o
    [14:23] manufan4life1993: idk i am still in warranty
    [14:23] manufan4life1993: With my brand new XNA 2009 Dev-kit.
    [14:23] xbox360smartrepairs: its doenst last long, and casues major flexing (bending)
    [14:24] manufan4life1993: idk
    [14:25] manufan4life1993: So how ya doing Halo 3?
    [14:25] xbox360smartrepairs: i do the xclamp hybrid advanced fix which lasts longer, prevents flexing, applies even pressure, has better results, and fixes many of the 360s problem
    [14:25] xbox360smartrepairs: s
    [14:26] manufan4life1993: http://www.ibotmodz....535#entry111535
    [14:26] xbox360smartrepairs: i also do relfows with a custom bga rework station and i use flux and thats the best reflow
    [14:26] manufan4life1993: Well i am happy with my Dev-kit, how did you find me?
    [14:27] xbox360smartrepairs: se7 i think
    [14:27] manufan4life1993: O
    [14:27] manufan4life1993: Lol
    [14:27] xbox360smartrepairs: and az is the biggest idiot out there
    [14:27] manufan4life1993: K
    [14:27] manufan4life1993: Cool