•  

• iBotModz CBox

Photo

Lab Raiders

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
    1 reply to this topic

#1 StevenSVE♥

StevenSVE♥

Creator and Director of SVE

• Retired Staff

• 466 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

Lab Raiders
    By CaptainPoopface

Remember this room with the awful lightmap?

Posted Image

I killed the lightmap. It's an enclosed map that is almost completely dark. There are 3 weapons. Each one has a different kind of flashlight attached. I know it's not a new idea and is rather tame for my M.O. But it's never been done to my satisfaction, and it certainly changes the game, which is always my aim.

The rocket launcher. Standard issue. This is what you see:
    Posted Image

This is what they see:
    Posted Image

The night vision magnum. It lights up a good portion of the room, but only for the person wielding it! When you equip it, it also makes that cool "squeeeeeeeeee!" sound that night vision goggles make. It shoots one plasma grenade per clip, so with the reload time, it's essentially just like throwing grenades. You can only hold 5 rounds max. There's no magnum ammo on the map, unless you pull it off a rival's carcass.

This is what you see:
    Posted Image

This is what they see:
    Posted Image

The brute shot plasma rifle. It lights up about as much space as the night vision magnum, but everyone else can see the light too, so it gives away your location significantly more than the other two weapons. However, it can be dual wielded. The projectile also lights up a lot of space as it flies, so you can scope out other parts of the map for enemy shadows. The overheating and aging ensure a fairly slow rate of fire, slower than the brute shot, but about 12 shots with no reload. You're really a sitting duck with this one, so be aggressive with it.

This is what you see:
    Posted Image

This is what they see:
    Posted Image

I've tried to give each weapon its tactical tradeoffs. The rocket launcher does the most damage, but it has a poor light that is visible to others. The magnum is great for sneaking around, but it runs out of ammo quickly. The brute plasma can dish out a fair amount of damage and has good visibility, but it makes you very easy to find.

I have also placed a few crates around the map so you can reach the upper level.

Posted Image

Because of the firepower involved, I recommend turning on Damage Resistance in your gametype.

Credits:
    Entity 1.6 UE and 1.39
    Yelo by xbox7887
    UberLightmap Tool by Aequitas

Thank you:
    UpsetSpy for BSP conversion, used with kind permission
    Monkey Terd for tutorial on flashlights and night vision
    DemonicSandwich for triggered flashlight tutorial, although I didn't really use it

Patch Midship

#2 LXV Grizzly

LXV Grizzly

Sergeant Grade 2

• Members+

• 422 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

Wow this looks great. Nice lighting and shading, if i had an original xbox i would say that some flood in there would make it even spookier, but i dont. Until then no AI for me :(