13 replies to this topic

#1 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:54 AM

Things needed:
    Soldering iron & wick(something to remove solder)
    3 or 2 pin fan(12v)
    3 pin headers

First of all dissamble your xbox( this will void any warranty) so we will be soldering to point J7G1 this is right behind the rol board.
    This has it's own detected 12v power so your not stealing power form any other components, which causes rrod.
    Posted Image

Remove the solder
    Posted Image

Now place down the pin header keep it in place and solder it in from underneath the mobo.
    Posted Image

Ok after you have done that you have to activate the port as Microsoft didn't.
    So just simply bridge R7V7 togher.
    Posted Image

You done just plug your fan in I installed my fan onto my case.
    Posted Image
    Posted Image

By Jmd almighty

Preview of next tut Ethernet acttavated LEDs.
    Posted Image

#2 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

You can also strip the new fan's wires and splice them into the stock fan's

#3 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

You can also strip the new fan's wires and splice them into the stock fan's

That's a bad idea as your 1: stealing power from the stock fans and 2:your requesting 24v form a 12v power source which will burn it out you should never be splicing into anything unless your adding a low consuming item ie LEDs.

#4 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

That's a bad idea as your 1: stealing power from the stock fans and 2:your requesting 24v form a 12v power source which will burn it out you should never be splicing into anything unless your adding a low consuming item ie LEDs.

Okay, first off, most fans (assuming 80mm) use approx. 1.5w, so null. Also, I'm not quite following your second argument.

#5 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

Okay, first off, most fans (assuming 80mm) use approx. 1.5w, so null. Also, I'm not quite following your second argument.

What I'm saying is the original power source is 12v max the fan uses 12v when running at max now if you splice a secondary fan into the old power source your getting a second fan running at 12v making a tottal of 24v for a 12v power source you dont have to take my word for it there have been plenty of reported cases of rrod and bricked divices because people added fans off the DVD power or the origanal power source.

#6 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

What I'm saying is the original power source is 12v max the fan uses 12v when running at max now if you splice a secondary fan into the old power source your getting a second fan running at 12v making a tottal of 24v for a 12v power source you dont have to take my word for it there have been plenty of reported cases of rrod and bricked divices because people added fans off the DVD power or the origanal power source.

I'm not trying to argue with you, merely trying to offer an alternate method.
    Now, I built my own laptop cooling pad (What can I say, I didn't want to drop $80), and it is hooked up to a 12v power supply scavenged from a old external HDD. There are 3 fans running off of this power source, but they are not drawing 36v from it (otherwise it would burn out). Have you ever built a computer? If you have, you may know that many case fans run off of molex (4 pin / IDE) connectors, and are chained together (by design) because most people don't have enough connectors to power everything. Example pics below.

Posted Image
    As you can see, there is the original connector, with two fans "Daisy Chained" onto it.
    (Sorry for the quality, taken via cell phone)

#7 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:10 AM

I'm not trying to argue with you, merely trying to offer an alternate method.
    Now, I built my own laptop cooling pad (What can I say, I didn't want to drop $80), and it is hooked up to a 12v power supply scavenged from a old external HDD. There are 3 fans running off of this power source, but they are not drawing 36v from it (otherwise it would burn out). Have you ever built a computer? If you have, you may know that many case fans run off of molex (4 pin / IDE) connectors, and are chained together (by design) because most people don't have enough connectors to power everything. Example pics below......

Ya I'm not arguing either but the problem is the xbox just can't manage it's power sufficiently that's why splicing into other power sources is a bad heres some quates.

"I would not attempt to run anything off the 12V line on the DVD Drive. Even to tap into the wires is a strain on the DVD Drive. The reason why I made this post is because of a PM from a user that ran a CC from the DVD Drive power wire and now is having major troubles with his drive."

The xbox just wasn't designed propply there quite a few deactivated ports on an xbox which they did so the xbox consumes less power therefore the xbox requires less and docent overheat. M$ made a bunch of changes last minute to save cash ie. The thermal compound was a decent one but they decided to save some money also there were going to be LEDs on the Ethernet port like a pc but again changed it to save cash.

#8 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:47 PM

Ya I'm not arguing either but the problem is the xbox just can't manage it's power sufficiently that's why splicing into other power sources is a bad heres some quates.

"I would not attempt to run anything off the 12V line on the DVD Drive. Even to tap into the wires is a strain on the DVD Drive. The reason why I made this post is because of a PM from a user that ran a CC from the DVD Drive power wire and now is having major troubles with his drive."

The xbox just wasn't designed propply there quite a few deactivated ports on an xbox which they did so the xbox consumes less power therefore the xbox requires less and docent overheat. M$ made a bunch of changes last minute to save cash ie. The thermal compound was a decent one but they decided to save some money also there were going to be LEDs on the Ethernet port like a pc but again changed it to save cash.

Alright, makes sense. Generally though the system can provide enough power. Though there is one point I'm going to have to disagree with :p "The thermal compound was a decent one" When I took mine apart, it was ceramic based TIM. It might be different on Elites.

#9 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

Alright, makes sense. Generally though the system can provide enough power. Though there is one point I'm going to have to disagree with :p "The thermal compound was a decent one" When I took mine apart, it was ceramic based TIM. It might be different on Elites.

I ment when they made the protypes then the went back and asked them selves how to save money and you know the rest....

#10 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

I ment when they made the protypes then the went back and asked them selves how to save money and you know the rest....

Typical corporation, listen to the money not the sense.

#11 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:09 PM

Typical corporation, listen to the money not the sense.

Well they failed hard trying to save cash they saved 35million with there little cuts but had to set up 1billion dollars repair program lol.

#12 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

Well they failed hard trying to save cash they saved 35million with there little cuts but had to set up 1billion dollars repair program lol.

lol so true. and the copper heatpipe on the GPU Heatsink is soldered on, they were too cheap to do it right O_o

#13 miinaturvat

miinaturvat

miiinaturvat

• Donors+

• 927 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:17 AM

lol so true. and the copper heatpipe on the GPU Heatsink is soldered on, they were too cheap to do it right O_o

You're joking, right? :lol:

#14 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

You're joking, right? :lol:

They should have made the whole heatsink a solid block (Preferable of copper).