• Please log in to reply
    12 replies to this topic

#1 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

I'm not new to 360 repair. Just to get that out of the way. Anyways, 1 of the 5 consoles I got in today had E71. It is an old console (12-24-05) man. date. Regardless, I went for the obvious fix and attempted to clear any updates with the hold the sync button until dash. So, of course I held the sync button and powered it up, but this time after a long wait (30 seconds or so) it just went into RROD mode. I popped the secondary code and got 0022. So, my brain goes into repair mode without much thought. I go ahead and strip it down, clean it, run flux, reflow, repaste, etc... Still, I have 0022, which isn't usually an issue. So, after rechecking, reflowing, and re pasting again...i get a little irked...

Then for no apparent reason I google "E71 changing to 0022" and apparently this is not a coincidence. Seems to have happened to more than one person. I read lots of incidents, but not any true solutions. Help? Suggestions?

BTW, Xenon, ms25, stock, no work done or wiring on the board, no missing parts, nothing other than a pure stock 360.

All the errors were before I even cracked the case open. So, my reflow had nothing to do with causing the error. I had an E71 change to a 0022 just by holding the sync button to clear an failed updates.

All this was done on the first time through the repair. Stripped it down, cleaned it up, it sat in the oven at 170F for 6 hours. Ran flux under all the chips. Reflowed the board paying special attention to the southbridge, GPU, RAM areas, paste..so on. I just got done with the second run through, oven, reflow, waiting on it to cool to paste and test again. Not feeling confident on this one. Still no joy after going through everything the second time.

Any wild ideas out there?

#2 halo3

halo3

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 1

• Members+

• 571 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

I'm not new to 360 repair. Just to get that out of the way. Anyways, 1 of the 5 consoles I got in today had E71. It is an old console (12-24-05) man. date. Regardless, I went for the obvious fix and attempted to clear any updates with the hold the sync button until dash. So, of course I held the sync button and powered it up, but this time after a long wait (30 seconds or so) it just went into RROD mode. I popped the secondary code and got 0022. So, my brain goes into repair mode without much thought. I go ahead and strip it down, clean it, run flux, reflow, repaste, etc... Still, I have 0022, which isn't usually an issue. So, after rechecking, reflowing, and re pasting again...i get a little irked...

Then for no apparent reason I google "E71 changing to 0022" and apparently this is not a coincidence. Seems to have happened to more than one person. I read lots of incidents, but not any true solutions. Help? Suggestions?

BTW, Xenon, ms25, stock, no work done or wiring on the board, no missing parts, nothing other than a pure stock 360.

All the errors were before I even cracked the case open. So, my reflow had nothing to do with causing the error. I had an E71 change to a 0022 just by holding the sync button to clear an failed updates.

All this was done on the first time through the repair. Stripped it down, cleaned it up, it sat in the oven at 170F for 6 hours. Ran flux under all the chips. Reflowed the board paying special attention to the southbridge, GPU, RAM areas, paste..so on. I just got done with the second run through, oven, reflow, waiting on it to cool to paste and test again. Not feeling confident on this one. Still no joy after going through everything the second time.

Any wild ideas out there?

see lol he doesn't know everything about repairs XD
    This error is caused by a bridged/shorting solder joint under the GPU, (H)ANA-chip or in between.It can also be power related though, for example if you are drawing power from one of the regulators that power the GPU and HANA-chip.Can also be a component that is missing or damaged so look for missing parts near the GPU and the HANA chip. In extremely rare cases it might also be related to the lines that lead from HANA to the CPU.
    The chances are however higher that it is the GPU than the HANA chip so you should always first concentrate on the GPU.

Since your using a heat gun which is uneven air, try it on the side towars the HANA chip. Also did you use any insulation when you low baked it?
    Btw i can always professionally reflow this for you ;)

#3 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

see lol he doesn't know everything about repairs XD
    This error is caused by a bridged/shorting solder joint under the GPU, (H)ANA-chip or in between.It can also be power related though, for example if you are drawing power from one of the regulators that power the GPU and HANA-chip.Can also be a component that is missing or damaged so look for missing parts near the GPU and the HANA chip. In extremely rare cases it might also be related to the lines that lead from HANA to the CPU.
    The chances are however higher that it is the GPU than the HANA chip so you should always first concentrate on the GPU.

Since your using a heat gun which is uneven air, try it on the side towars the HANA chip. Also did you use any insulation when you low baked it?
    Btw i can always professionally reflow this for you ;)

thanks for proving your idiocy sir. BTW, that is an excellent copy paste job from xbox-experts. Also, the error truly has absolutely nothing to do with anything you mentioned at... let me try....

go here and look at the description http://xbox-experts....rcode/E10/0022/ what does it say? Oh, it's your whole post! Geez kid. BTW, you "professional", you should know that if it's anything hardware related (which is the issue since I'm not entirely sure it's not a software issue with the TSOP, especially since the error changed without the case ever being opened) it would be related to the Southbridge above all else. You have to be the dumbest shit I have ever seen. Did that copy past job make you feel smart, cause it surely didn't help prove it. Learn what the hell you are talking about before you come posting more of that dumb shit you read on the internet ever again. Stay off of my posts with your shit spilling wrong copy paste jobs!

#4 halo3

halo3

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 1

• Members+

• 571 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

thanks for proving your idiocy sir. BTW, that is an excellent copy paste job from xbox-experts. Also, the error truly has absolutely nothing to do with anything you mentioned at... let me try....

go here and look at the description http://xbox-experts....rcode/E10/0022/ what does it say? Oh, it's your whole post! Geez kid. BTW, you "professional", you should know that if it's anything hardware related (which is the issue since I'm not entirely sure it's not a software issue with the TSOP, especially since the error changed without the case ever being opened) it would be related to the Southbridge above all else. You have to be the dumbest shit I have ever seen. Did that copy past job make you feel smart, cause it surely didn't help prove it. Learn what the hell you are talking about before you come posting more of that dumb shit you read on the internet ever again. Stay off of my posts with your shit spilling wrong copy paste jobs!

Why is it so bad to copy and paste? Just wanted to make sure you knew that info ;) And if it is hardware related it would probably be the gpu. Now if your so sure its the southbridge why ask for help here? Lol so much for you "perfect record" :X

Edited by halo3, 13 February 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#5 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

Why is it so bad to copy and paste? Just wanted to make sure you knew that info ;) And if it is hardware related it would probably be the gpu. Now if your so sure its the southbridge why ask for help here?
    And btw get a life

And again you post your useless crap on my topic. I know all that. Do you not think if I'm actually asking for other peoples Ideas when it comes to repair that I haven't ran through every repair, checked every resistor, ran over every possible hardware fault in my head and it practice?

I didn't ask so that I could get common knowledge, I know how this is done. I'm looking for alternative trains of thought. The sensical route isn't fixing it, and I'm not entirely convinced there isn't a software issue since I changed the error code completely before even opening the case. And I asked because I have been through the southbridge and everything else known to man.

PS, you don't insulate the board on a low temp oven bake. You can cover the plastic inputs if you want, but I've never seen any detrimental effects as long as you have some common sense. Keep it below 180F (I BELIEVE the safe limit/heat tolerance on the plastic caps right around 200~205F and they would be the first things damaged because of how thin they are..

PSS- The guy who you think is a god, and who you steal all your copy paste stuff from (Willhelm) offered this answer "man, I don't really know. I've only heard of that exact error 3 times, and I've never seen one in person. Good luck."

Now if you would like to add anything that is not common knowledge and may contribute to my issue, feel free. But if all you are going to do is come here and spout your copy paste job, don't bother.

#6 halo3

halo3

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 1

• Members+

• 571 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

And again you post your useless crap on my topic. I know all that. Do you not think if I'm actually asking for other peoples Ideas when it comes to repair that I haven't ran through every repair, checked every resistor, ran over every possible hardware fault in my head and it practice?

I didn't ask so that I could get common knowledge, I know how this is done. I'm looking for alternative trains of thought. The sensical route isn't fixing it, and I'm not entirely convinced there isn't a software issue since I changed the error code completely before even opening the case. And I asked because I have been through the southbridge and everything else known to man.

PS, you don't insulate the board on a low temp oven bake. You can cover the plastic inputs if you want, but I've never seen any detrimental effects as long as you have some common sense. Keep it below 180F (I BELIEVE the safe limit/heat tolerance on the plastic caps right around 200~205F and they would be the first things damaged because of how thin they are..

PSS- The guy who you think is a god, and who you steal all your copy paste stuff from (Willhelm) offered this answer "man, I don't really know. I've only heard of that exact error 3 times, and I've never seen one in person. Good luck."

Now if you would like to add anything that is not common knowledge and may contribute to my issue, feel free. But if all you are going to do is come here and spout your copy paste job, don't bother.

Well it is a good idea to put a small ammount of insulation on the caps and buttons if you have an oven that isn't always acurate. The caps shouldn't go over 212F. Btw the stuff on xbox-experts isn't by Wilhelm realy, its taken off of xboxscene and the rest is from other people's success.

#7 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

Well it is a good idea to put a small ammount of insulation on the caps and buttons if you have an oven that isn't always acurate. The caps shouldn't go over 212F. Btw the stuff on xbox-experts isn't by Wilhelm realy, its taken off of xboxscene and the rest is from other people's success.

I know where it comes from...lol I been around a loooooong time. Nobody has an actual answer for this particular issue. If you google it you can find other people have had the same issue, but there are no solutions.

Edited by Azraelrs, 13 February 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#8 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:08 AM

Do you know what happened to the xbox prior to you gaining it?

I think there is something underyling that I'm trying to piece together.

and its a Xenon, so let me go check some stuff.

#9 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:23 AM

Do you know what happened to the xbox prior to you gaining it?

I think there is something underyling that I'm trying to piece together.

and its a Xenon, so let me go check some stuff.

Yeah, Xenon, and no, most of the time I buy them in bulk from around $5 each. I don't really care about the actual console as the parts I can strip more than cover the cost... I'm just one of those people who wants to figure it out. I have never seen that happen before. It shows up with E71... so I hold down the sync button turn it on. IT boots for a very long time and switches to 0022.Usually you can change slide it into a different error after you've opened it, or jarred something loose or tightened too hard, those are easy (example... you can easily get 0020 while doing an Xclamp fix. If you start with 0102 or something simple and you even slightly tighten the CPU heat sink too much, it'll make contact with a resistor to the right of the CPU and you'll see a nice 0020, loosen it and it'll go away.. fixes 75% of 0020 after a clamp replacement)

Regardless... this one is out there.. and bothering me because it makes 0 sense
    How do you cause a hardware error by holding a button to clear a software issue? That is the question.

#10 halo3

halo3

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 1

• Members+

• 571 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:44 AM

I know where it comes from...lol I been around a loooooong time. Nobody has an actual answer for this particular issue. If you google it you can find other people have had the same issue, but there are no solutions.

ok sure... then why did you say it all came from Wilhelm? Also personaly I hate Wilhelm lol. Besides all i'm trying to do is give you some advice if it is hardware related.

#11 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

Bear with me, as this will sound 150% ridiculous. Take all the plastic case off the 360, and lay the 360 on its side. Now get the biggest fan around and put it on top of the 360. Now turn it on and see if anything happens. You could also try filling one of those mega sized zip lock backs with ice and putting it under the 360. If it still doesn't work, then its not a heat issue. (You were looking for "alternative trains of thought" xD)

#12 ATTIKIT

ATTIKIT

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 80 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

^^^ WIN ice cubes in a zip lock I should have did that lol

#13 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

Bear with me, as this will sound 150% ridiculous. Take all the plastic case off the 360, and lay the 360 on its side. Now get the biggest fan around and put it on top of the 360. Now turn it on and see if anything happens. You could also try filling one of those mega sized zip lock backs with ice and putting it under the 360. If it still doesn't work, then its not a heat issue. (You were looking for "alternative trains of thought" xD)

Umm, yes... but alternative trains of thought that might actually work Quinn...lol