•  

• iBotModz CBox

Photo

Is Assassin's Creed II's First DLC Offering Worth Playing?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
    No replies to this topic

#1 Slidell

Slidell

IBM Life Support

• VIP

• 2,863 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Releasing today for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 for the low price of 320 Microsoft Points or $3.99 respectively (that's cheaper than a Big Mac meal), Assassin's Creed II's first DLC pack, Battle for Forli, gives fans a closer look at bearded Ezio, and the foul-mouthed Caterina Sforza. Battle for Forli fills in the Sequence 12 DNA strand, and consists of six entertaining, combat-focused missions. If you haven't unlocked the ten kill No-Hitter Achievement/Trophy these missions will give you plenty of opportunities to snag it, which is nice considering this DLC includes no new achievements. The streets are crowded to capacity with enemies, and with the help of Caterina's army, you can take out most of them with a cowardly backside execution.

The missions fly by (I completed all of Sequence 12's missions in roughly an hour), but provide a great story that fills in many of the gaps missing from the retail game. In this hour, Caterina steals the show. She offers one of the game's best lines (having to do with child birth), and isn't afraid to roll up her sleeves to fight for her cause. The all-mysterious apple is also thrust into the spotlight, but outside of Leonardo lending insight as to what it might represent, we really learn nothing about it. Desmond is also nowhere to be found in this Sequence, but Da Vinci's flying machine is (groan).

Battle for Forli doesn't last long, but I'm glad I played it. It adds clarity to the fiction, and ends up being a fun (albeit Achievement-free) ride.