•  

• iBotModz CBox

Photo

Mac or PC?

• Please log in to reply
    26 replies to this topic

Poll: Mac or PC? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I get a Mac or PC?

1. Mac (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. PC (11 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 lostmodz26

lostmodz26

I am lostmodz26.

• VIP

• 1,153 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

If you haven't noticed, my computer sucks and it's time for me to get a new one.

I don't know if I should get a Mac or a PC. I've used PCs all my life and I'm sick of the BSOD.

And I've always wanted to edit videos with Final Cut on a Mac, so I don't know which to choose.

Vote in the poll and tell me what you think. If I get a PC then I'm going to install OSX on my netbook, and if I get a Mac then I'll Bootcamp with Windows XP.

#2 TheEazyB

TheEazyB

Corporal Grade 1

• Donors+

• 333 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

get a PC

#3 Random1225

Random1225

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 986 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

PC, I feel like Macs don't give you enough freedom.

#4 MODkid

MODkid

Private

• Members+

• 49 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

i had a mac. then gave it away for my awesome vista laptop. but since it seems like you want to edit videos. i picked mac.
    for modding it would be pc.
    Mac - cool programs
    PC - best for modding

wait until more people vote ;)

#5 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:02 AM

So can a PC not be a mac?

I thought PC meant Personal Computer. I think its better to say Mac VS Windows, unfortunately someone might have a build of linux. Either way, Windows (PC) all the way. I can't stand the childish limitations that are put on Macs. Your locked into their own version of the software with no ability to edit it.

#6 miinaturvat

miinaturvat

miiinaturvat

• Donors+

• 927 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:46 AM

XP for a desktop computer.

But some things are better done with linux. Web servers, for example :)

Macs are bad. stay away from them :D

#7 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

Windows, but if you have your heart set on final cut, try these guys: http://www.psystar.com/

#8 REDSTAR 105

REDSTAR 105

Insert Custom Title Here.

• Donors+

• 775 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:02 PM

The main reason they're suggesting you get a pc is because you can mod on it, macs are waaaayyy better.

#9 Lockon

Lockon

"I never asked for this"

• VIP

• 1,896 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:27 AM

PC = good for modding
    Mac = good for photoshop and video editing
    both come off as good things

#10 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

I would say
    Mac for: Photoshop, video editing, stability ect
    Windows for: Gaming, compatibility with nearly everything, viruses (:p) ect

#11 Decatur

Decatur

I went from script kiddie to network engineer

• Retired Staff

• 2,475 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

PC for powaaa

#12 360

Sergeant Grade 2

• Donors

• 373 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

Most of the above information is true but Macs are a lot faster and well they might be expensive to some people but for good reason, They are fast, Rarely ever crash or freeze and a lot more, but if you have used a Mac before and you like the programs that are in there like Keynote, Pages, iPhoto etc. Then get the Mac because you can't use Mac programs on a PC but you can use both on a Mac and they also have a wonderful battery life that can almost last a whole work day while PC has a crappy battery life. Also the shutdown and log on time for Macs are a 100x faster than they are on PC. Also Macs protect against viruses 1000x better than they do on PC and Macs never really slow down but PC's do a lot. So get the Mac. Trust me.

More info below:

Frequantly Asked Questions about Macs:

Can a Mac run Windows and Microsoft Office?
    Yes. Microsoft Office is available for the Mac, and Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files created on a Mac are fully compatible with Windows. Most other popular applications are available for the Mac, too. But if you need to use a particular Windows-only application, you have a few options: Boot Camp comes with every new Mac, and it lets you run Windows natively â?? as if your Mac were a PC. If you want to run Mac OS X and Windows side by side, you can purchase Parallels Desktop for Mac or VMware Fusion. Install one of these applications, along with the Windows Installation CDs, and you can run the occasional Windows program right next to your Mac applications, without having to restart.

Is a Mac safe from PC viruses?
    Yes, a Mac is 100 percent safe from viruses designed to attack PCs. And although no computer connected to the Internet is completely immune to all viruses and spyware, the Mac is built on a solid UNIX foundation and designed with security in mind. The Mac web browser, Safari, alerts you whenever youâ??re downloading an application â?? even if itâ??s disguised as a picture or movie file. And Apple continually makes free security updates available for Mac owners. You can even have them download automatically.

Will my PC devices (cameras, printers, hard drives) work with a Mac?
    A Mac has hundreds of drivers for peripherals preinstalled. Just connect your device and, in most cases, youâ??re good to go. And a Mac is smart enough to know what to do when you plug in your digital camera: It opens iPhoto and asks if you want to import your recent photos.

Can I join Windows networks?
    Yes. If you have a network at home or at work, whether wired or wireless, a Mac will fit right in. You can share files with any computer on your network, browse the web, and get your work or home email.

What about Wi-Fi?
    All new Mac computers are Wi-Fi capable. Available wireless networks automatically show up. Just select the network you want to join, enter a password if necessary, and youâ??re connected.

Is a Mac reliable?
    When you buy a PC, youâ??re buying hardware from one company and an operating system and software from other companies. Not so with a Mac. Because Apple builds both the computer and the software that comes with it, theyâ??re literally made for each other. This means that a Mac rarely freezes or crashes. Occasionally an application might quit, but it wonâ??t affect the rest of your system. And Mac OS X resists most viruses, so you can do anything â?? without worrying about losing everything.

What kind of support can I expect?
    Every Mac comes with service and support thatâ??s consistently voted the best in the business. If you have a problem in the first year of owning your new Mac, you can take it to an Apple Retail Store to get it fixed or figured out. And if you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan, you extend your service and support to up to three years. The Apple Retail Store also offers services like ProCare, which gives you priority support, and One to One, which provides personal training on your Mac. Each service costs $99 a year.

Is it easy to learn how to use a Mac?
    Every Mac is created with the guiding principle that computers should be easy to use, so you can spend more time doing what you love and less time figuring out how your computer works. If youâ??ve never owned a Mac, you may need a little time to get used to it. But within a week or two, chances are youâ??ll get along like old friends. And because all Mac applications are designed to work in the same, intuitive way, once you learn one application â?? iTunes, for example â?? youâ??ll quickly pick up iPhoto, Mail, or any of the other software that comes with your Mac.

Why should I spend more money on a Mac?
    When you compare the cost of a PC and factor in the additional software, memory, and other extras you have to buy to go along with it, the difference in price between a Mac and PC isnâ??t as great as most people believe. And because the Mac comes with so many built-in applications that youâ??ll enjoy using for both work and play (rather than useless freebies youâ??ll want to uninstall), a Mac makes good financial sense. Finally, a Mac is built with the most cutting-edge technology by some of the smartest hardware engineers, software developers, and product designers on the planet. So youâ??re getting the latest technological advances and a computer that isnâ??t in danger of becoming obsolete anytime soon.

How do I move my files to a Mac?
    If you buy a Mac at an Apple Retail or Online Store along with One to One you'll get Personal Setup where we'll transfer your files, install any new Apple software you've purchased, and put it in all the right places.

So, get the Mac.

#13 michael iz pro

michael iz pro

Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 355 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

Windows For The Win just Download OS X from one of my old post or i could pm you links you can Dual Boot both

#14 360

Sergeant Grade 2

• Donors

• 373 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

Windows For The Win just Download OS X from one of my old post or i could pm you links you can Dual Boot both

Mac is better than windows so get the Mac. End of discussion.

#15 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

Mac is better than windows so get the Mac. End of discussion.

Or build a custom computer, like the smart people do, save a lot of money, and put OS X on it. lots of money saved, more customization and all together a win.

#16 360

Sergeant Grade 2

• Donors

• 373 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:42 PM

Or build a custom computer, like the smart people do, save a lot of money, and put OS X on it. lots of money saved, more customization and all together a win.

You could do that, but it's a lot more work and takes to much time and there are a lot of lazy people around the world so why not go buy one. Oh well, I think we should just let lostmodz26 decide what he wants he has got several opinions to choose from, Lets just let this topic go now.

#17 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

You could do that, but it's a lot more work and takes to much time and there are a lot of lazy people around the world so why not go buy one. Oh well, I think we should just let lostmodz26 decide what he wants he has got several opinions to choose from, Lets just let this topic go now.

I agree

#18 Slidell

Slidell

IBM Life Support

• VIP

• 2,863 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

Read fact's most peoples opinions on this site are going to be bias because most are fanboys.

Just go to different sites mac sites and PC sites.

Edited by Slidell, 19 October 2009 - 05:21 PM.

#19 HAWKzer0

HAWKzer0

Private

• Members+

• 29 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

In my opinion windows is by far way better, you can virtually do just about anything while macs keep you prisoner in their own little limited abilities.
    Heres my words to you if your an all rule breaker then get a windows based pc my favorite is the XP but thats up to you to choose the operating system.
    Now if your a nice neat and organized high tech person go with a mac, macs or mostly for people with lots of projects and a easy and nice way of getting them done.
    Heres something to remember most windows based computers may be upgradable while macs lack the fact that you cant just go to the store and buy a new piece for it.
    so remember if buying a windows pc get one that may be upgraded for at least 3 years before saying goodbye to it .
    sorry for betraying all you windows lover`s but i have to go with a mac for my new soon to be computer since it will really come in handy for school.
    I am an all loving windows lover but for unknown reasons my high school recommends mac and is needed the most there so therefore I need help choosing now please help.

What mac should I get
    macbook pro or macbook air

its gonna be mainly used for video and art editing projects for school lots of mobility needed I understand the macbook air is lighter and more mobile but if there is not much difference then please choose the best option now another thing quick easy access is needed for example fast photos quick recording etc.

#20 360

Sergeant Grade 2

• Donors

• 373 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

In my opinion windows is by far way better, you can virtually do just about anything while macs keep you prisoner in their own little limited abilities.
    Heres my words to you if your an all rule breaker then get a windows based pc my favorite is the XP but thats up to you to choose the operating system.
    Now if your a nice neat and organized high tech person go with a mac, macs or mostly for people with lots of projects and a easy and nice way of getting them done.
    Heres something to remember most windows based computers may be upgradable while macs lack the fact that you cant just go to the store and buy a new piece for it.
    so remember if buying a windows pc get one that may be upgraded for at least 3 years before saying goodbye to it .
    sorry for betraying all you windows lover`s but i have to go with a mac for my new soon to be computer since it will really come in handy for school.
    I am an all loving windows lover but for unknown reasons my high school recommends mac and is needed the most there so therefore I need help choosing now please help.

What mac should I get
    macbook pro or macbook air

its gonna be mainly used for video and art editing projects for school lots of mobility needed I understand the macbook air is lighter and more mobile but if there is not much difference then please choose the best option now another thing quick easy access is needed for example fast photos quick recording etc.

iBotPeaches said like the same thing on the first part of your sentence and your basically copying him, but who cares, MAC FOR THE WIN. End of discussion. Close topic please?