• Please log in to reply
    5 replies to this topic

#1 L337 Box

L337 Box

I Am The EL1T3 B0X!

• VIP

• 542 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:30 AM

Post taken with permission from Halo 3 Forum.

So, I've been thinking about what I could write about to help the community. I actually really, really enjoy writing and what better to write about than Matchmaking. Most people on this site are, for lack of better wording, bad at matchmaking. So, I thought I would try and help each of you out with some tips. No matter what skill level you're at, this should help most of you get better. If not, then maybe you should be spreading some knowledge yourself :p

Note: This is primarily for Team Slayer and MLG. Some of this can be used for Team Doubles, but again, it's primarily for TS/MLG.

Step 1 - Individual Skill

Most people are of average skill. I have seen a lot of stat sigs on this site and most of them are in the Brigadier Gr 2 range. Now, rank doesn't always show how good you are, but often times it tells enough. When attempting to get a 50, you don't have to be the player that goes 20-0. What you need to try and do is stay alive, help your teammates and pick up kills. If you're unable to out-BR an opponent, put some shots on him, back off, call it out and let a teammate clean up the kill. Understand that skill means knowing when to go for the kills and when to play it safe; not necessarily how many kills you get.

Now, the term individual skill is used in two different ways. Some define individual skill as being able to go +20 every game. That's not the way I see it at all. Individual skill is comprised of all types of skills: communication skills, how well you aim, how smart you play, how well you listen and how much you help your teammates.

Communication: Communication is the most important part of any team. As Thaggles has explained in his 1v1 thread on MLGPro, your teammates are your radar. Sure, in Team Slayer, there is radar, but if your teammates are all communicating and letting you know where each player is, you'll never have to watch your back.

Over communication, however, can be a problem. Try to focus on what's important: where they're spawning, how many of them are there, where they are, what weapon they have, how weak they are, and where they're going. It sounds like a lot, but it's easy to cover all subjects in a simple callout. An example for on The Pit could be, "2 spawning their courtyard going s2". You've explained where the team is spawning, how many are there, what guns they have (BR's or AR's depending on gametype. They just spawned.) and where your teammates should be looking to see them. Another good example of a good call out on The Pit could be, "They have a sniper in their shotgun." This informs all teammates that if they can see shotgun, they are in danger of getting shot by the sniper.

Aiming: Not really something that can be taught. I will say this though; your look sensitivity has a lot to do with it. If you're noticing your BR/snipe/AR is really shaky, try lowering your look sensitivity so you're able to keep it more stable. Also, try using your left thumbstick to strafe more while you move the right thumbstick slightly to compensate for the strafe. The more you use your right thumbstick, the more you will miss your shots.

Smarts: This is also something very hard to teach. I suppose the gist of it is to be unpredictable. So many times I have played low level MM and I know exactly where each player will be and where they will go with what weapon. After playing so many games, it's easy to know where the less skilled players will go, thus making it easier for a smarter player to kill them. For the most part though, you want to be in a good position to help your teammates and stay alive yourself. Don't rush in to a base if you have no teammates with you. Go just outside, wait for your teammates to catch up, help them get to you and then push into the base together. As I said, it's very hard to teach, but one of the biggest differences between professionals and amateurs is how smart they play.

Listening: EXTREMELY important. Listen to where your teammates called out and make sure you're able to help within a reasonable time. If you're playing on Narrows and your teammates are calling out players in your base, you shouldn't be bottom mid. Be sure to listen to their call outs and position yourself accordingly. Listening to where the other team is positioned is the difference between failure and victory when playing any gametype.

Helping Teammates: Probably the most important part of any team games is the amount of help you're able to provide. Instead of running around the map, trying to kill the other team by yourself, try positioning yourself around the map so that you can see your teammates, where they could be getting shot from and ways to back off if you need to. If you're a good team player, you should always be watching your teammates locations and trying to get to a spot to help, get kills, and survive. If you're noticing a lack of assists on your part and a lot of deaths, you're probably doing something wrong. Watch the game in theatre and try to find out where you went that lead to your deaths. Look for places you could've gone that would have changed the outcome.

Step 2 - Teammates

This is always a huge issue when playing TS/DT/MLG. If you're going in with your little brother who has very little knowledge about the game, don't expect to go in and get any support or even a win. If you're playing at a higher level of MM and trying to get your 50, always try to go in with people you feel comfortable playing with that you can trust to do their part. If you know you have a weaker player in your party and you're serious about getting your 50, ask them to leave politely and get someone else in the game that you know can do their part to get the win.

I'm not suggesting you turn into a complete ass and ditch all of your close friends just to acquire a rank in Halo 3. I am, however, suggesting that if you're serious about getting a certain level and you keep noticing a certain friend slacking a majority of the time, try playing with other people once in a while to make up for their mistakes.

Step 3 - Weapons and Powerups

Often times in Team Slayer, I get matched in a Team BR game (in fact, it should be what most people prefer). In a Team BR game, you are given a BR and an AR. Both of these weapons are useful and should be used in any game. Primarily, you want to use your BR. I've been weak in games and kids have been running at me with the AR expecting to get a kill; 4 shots later, they're on the ground and I'm living. The AR is ONLY good on vehicles and close range players. If you're behind an object and you see an enemy on your radar, crouch, pull out your AR and attack. Jump out, AR the enemy for 5-6 shots and beat them down. You will catch them off guard and more than likely get the kill. Other than that, you really shouldn't be using your AR.

In a TS game, try and get control of snipers/rockets and, if you don't have them already, BRs. If you have most of those weapons/all, you are almost guaranteed the win. Remember, power weapons in MM spawn every 3 minutes or so. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what the spawn time is, but I'm fairly certain it's around 3 minutes since it was picked up.

Powerups in matchmaking spawn every 3 minutes from being picked up. Most people know this, but what some don't know is that the MLG rules are different. In MLG, the powerups spawn every 2 minutes from when they're picked up.

For more detailed weapon and powerup spawn times for MLG, click here.

Step 4 - Never Underestimate An Opponent

This really shouldn't be an issue with people, but it usually is. I've done it countless times and it's always been a mistake. When going into a game of MM, I usually look at each of my opponents games played and calculate their win/loss ratio. It's usually pretty easy to tell who is decent and who is weak from those stats alone. However, when you get into the game, play your best and don't let off. In AR start games, the momentum can change almost instantly on certain maps. Try and control the power weapons the best you can and avoid close range combat (unless you have a shotgun, mauler, or sword of course =P).

Step 5 - Attitude

Go into the game positive. If you go into a game and you're angry or upset over a previous loss, you will be doomed to repeat it. At the end of every game, make sure you stay a few seconds and say, "Good game." to the other team. It shows sportsmanship and if you truly mean it, you'll feel a lot better about it. Realize that you CAN lose and it will happen. Be confident, but not cocky. A good player will always keep a cool head. If you're getting angry and it's effecting your game, take a break and cool down. Your mental game is more important than anything.

Step 6 - Have Fun

Corny, I know. However, if you're having fun with your friends and playing to the best of your ability, leveling won't seem like such a hassle. If you have a big lead on another team, try just using a needler or try getting in the ghost to pick up kills. Playing 100% serious 100% of the time gets frustrating and makes tempers flare. Always be sure to have fun and do your best. If you're playing your best and it's just not enough, don't be discouraged; keep trying to improve your game and learn from your mistakes.

Those are really the only tips I can think of to help any of you get better at Matchmaking. Getting a 50 in Halo 3 is much easier than Halo 2 and thanks to the new ranking system, it will probably be much more interesting.

If you have any other questions, I will be more than happy to answer them. Just post them in this thread and I'll get back to them ASAP. I hope I've been able to help some of you.

Edited by L337 Box, 23 October 2008 - 12:35 AM.

#2 Mcmodder♥

Mcmodder♥

I have no friends.

• Banned

• 622 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:35 AM

thanks for this this will help as im doing a mlg team :)

Edited by Mcmodder♥, 31 October 2008 - 08:11 AM.

#3 Mcmodder♥

Mcmodder♥

I have no friends.

• Banned

• 622 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

Bump do u think u could make it so u can download this into a word doc :)

#4 Decatur

Decatur

I went from script kiddie to network engineer

• Retired Staff

• 2,475 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

Copy & Paste it.

Its not really helpful, just common sense.

#5 Nuklear♥

Nuklear♥

Snail is awesome!

• Members+

• 255 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

I got to a 50 without using a mic and other people's voices were drowned out by blasting System of a Down music and all by myself.

#6 Xx Anarchy xX♥

Xx Anarchy xX♥

Best Part of iBotModz

• Members+

• 237 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

Cause levels matter...