• Please log in to reply
    12 replies to this topic

#1 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

I bought my copy of Halo 3 the day it came out, about 12. I was on a lunch break. I picked it up, and returned to work, where I then went home and finally played the best game of my time. It kept me playing and addicted. I got about 20 ranked games in a day. Recently, as in today. I turn on my 360, load up H3, and go into Team Objective. I get paired with 2 others guys in 3v3. I went to grab my mic, and I returned right as I spawned. It was 1 Flag CTF on Narrows. 10 seconds into the game, the the screen turned pure white, with blue vertical lines flashing on. It was just a mess of lines to explain it more better.
    My teammates, not being the best, were not using the best choice of words, to tell me to move. I tried to tell them that my screen was white. I could still talk and everything. I was not about to quit and loose 2 EXP, and thus my testing began. I clicked "start" and the settings menu came up. Instead of the normal dark blue backround, it was olive green horizontal lines. (like the TV, when you have no signal) I then clicked my guide button, and the guide came up PERFECTLY. I was stunned with not knowing what to do. Then it said, "_blank_ signed on" The normal bubble that displayed that had white lines throw it, and made it unreadable, but since my knowledge of 360's I knew what it was. Now a little backround.
    This will be my 4th xbox sent into repair. The first one, had an issue with the discs all getting scratched around the outside. One had a fan fail, that required a new one. And one had a Red Ring Of Death, which I still to this day, don't know what was wrong with it. Back to Halo 3, the game ended 1-0 loss from what my teammates said, and the Bungie.net game record. It returned to the lobby and the screen was all white, except the Halo 3 logo, and some text around it. I turned it off, and came back 10 minutes later. Same thing happened except 1 minute into my game. This time I took the penalty. (My first.....ever.....) I quit and turned off my xbox and called xbox support. Heres a rundown of the convo.

Joe: Hello, How may I help you. I'm Joe
    Me: Hi, Joe...My Halo 3 blah blah blah (explained above)
    Joe: Could you go to TV mode, on your TV and tell me how that picture looks?
    Me: Its perfect, I've already narrowed it down to the xbox
    Joe: Well thank you, lets start fixing this then. Shall we?
    Me: of course, I didn't pay 60 bucks for Halo 3, not to play it
    Joe: Could you remove Halo 3 and remove the harddrive?
    Note: This has been 1 hour since the first incidence
    Me: Yes, 1 minute later. I'm now getting an error code.
    Joe: Thats what we want, what error is it?
    Note: Coolest, xbox support ever, spoke my language and used the terms "yep", "i gotcha"
    Me: It says E 74.
    Joe: Are the rings red?
    Me: Yes, the first red one near bottom right.
    Joe: Well, it seems there seems to be an issue with the VGA/HD chip, want to hear the rundown?
    Me: Sure, I will.
    Joe: The chip handles how the game information is parsed and sent to the xbox. It doesn't control the dashboard, as it acts differently. Somehow through an incident the image was burned into the chip, and its comparison to a RAM chip, overloaded and crashed. It takes awhile to fail, as so does a computer. Thats why you noticed the color changes, And the E 74 error, is the result after that failing.
    Me: So your telling me, I have to send it in for the 4th time?
    Joe: Yes sadly, but since its your 4th time. I can get this repair free for you.
    Note: I really loved this guy's service attitude
    Me: Thank you,
    Joe: Do you know how to handle the repair routine?
    Me: Sadly yes, The box and reference number etc.
    Joe: Heres your Reference Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, I just finished writing the report.
    Me: Well thank you, good bye
    Joe: Bye

My point I want to get across is don't leave your 360 on. Its the common issue Joe said to all these problems. Its caused by the virtual memory overloading. Please for the sake of your own xbox, post to this and spread it. Save your own xbox, before its too late. I wish I have a youtube video or anything of this incident but I don't. My box for repair is on its way, any my harddrive is on my desk. I'm just warning/stating to the population the affects of Halo 3 on your xbox.

Thank you,

Peaches

#2 .dice♥

.dice♥

The Guitar Hero From Hell

• Members+

• 577 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

that must really suck bro, xbox 360 aren't that releilible

#3 fattwam

fattwam

General Grade 2

• Sub-Admins

• 3,979 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:58 PM

why does it always sound like all the xbox 360's were made crappy, everyone is having problems.

#4 XXlMODDERlXX

XXlMODDERlXX

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 198 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:14 PM

Note: Coolest, xbox support ever, spoke my language and used the terms "yep", "i gotcha

ya i like how he cant talk better then other ppl to u, but same here my xbox has been messing up until that 1 day it wanted to stop playing dics...but i herd that microsoft used sony HD drives back the day for there old xboxes thats why they lasted longer but then they switched it to some crappyer kind that was less expensive but that might just be my error i dont know about others.. im still waiting for mine...good luck with your wait

#5 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:58 AM

Last time I called I got some asian lady who didn't even know what a power cord was. I think I had a 19 year old xbox genius.

#6 fattwam

fattwam

General Grade 2

• Sub-Admins

• 3,979 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:04 AM

Last time I called I got some asian lady who didn't even know what a power cord was. I think I had a 19 year old xbox genius.

lol stupid person,

ME - ya i need halp with my xbox i keep getting an error
    Asian Lady - you need help with a what ?

#7 blacklabelfosho

blacklabelfosho

Impossible is nothing

• Retired Staff

• 520 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:30 AM

see i had this same error, and i figured it was the virtual memory, so i went back into my computer room. got my sata cables, and started messing around with the HD.
    the problem is, is the fact that the 360 builds up its cache too damn fast,

microsoft made it perform too many functions at once, and
    with halo 3's auto recording function, its just building up a memory of too many things at once,
    and it will end up breaking.
    see bungie either shouldnt have made the halo3 game record everygame unless u told it to record,
    and it shouldnt remember the last 50 games youve played, bc the virtual memory gets overloaded,

i had to go in and reflash my firmware, so it would clear my virtual memory.
    i lost all my last games on h3, but it was the only way to fix my 360...

#8 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Anyway to do that, without XSATA, the cable was crimmped by running my chair over it, so its usless now.

#9 Laxmonster54♥

Laxmonster54♥

Im one hell of a sexy man...

• Retired Staff

• 1,053 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:24 PM

Last time mine messed up it cought on fire!!!
    it turned out my house was hit by lightning and it messed up my xbox
    so I sent it in and it was not able to be fixed, so they gave me a new
    one and a 3 year extended warranty and a three month gold membership!
    so all I have to say is good luck And I hope you get a deal like mine!

#10 Snowmon333♥

Snowmon333♥

• Retired Staff

• 1,029 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:00 PM

i left mine on over night and it overheated

all i had to do was turn it off and it was fine

#11 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, long time overhating loosens the solder between mobo and PCU and causes that connection to break. never xboxes have flux paste over that to prevent that from breaking.

#12 XXlMODDERlXX

XXlMODDERlXX

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 198 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:47 PM

Last time mine messed up it cought on fire!!!
    it turned out my house was hit by lightning and it messed up my xbox
    so I sent it in and it was not able to be fixed, so they gave me a new
    one and a 3 year extended warranty and a three month gold membership!
    so all I have to say is good luck And I hope you get a deal like mine!

ROFL! dude i would of been freaking out!lol

#13 nielsss

nielsss

Sergeant Grade 2

• Retired Staff

• 361 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:10 AM

well i had the 3 red lights before and got it fixed, it took like 2 months. But i did get gears of war and 3 one month trails for free because it took so long. After a while i kinda gave up cuz my 360 broke again...it used to freeze everytime i went on xbl for a longer period than about 5 minutes but the weird thing is i can play fine without goin on xbl. When i bought the intercooler ex it used to work fine...But then i got worried cuz people said i would brake my 360 because the intercooler was stealing too much power so i modded to work on external power then the unexplainable happened..After modding the intercooler my halo used to lag (grafically) So i bought another intercooler and then it worked fine again...but then the fans from the intercooler started making weird noises so i was for @#%$s sake..And i was like @#%$ the warrenty im not going through all that trouble again...So i opend my 360 and did the 12v fan mod i know that wouldnt burn out the fans because the fan change voltage when needed (between 5 and 12 volts) and while i opened my 360 i bought a black case just like the elite one and replaced with my original xbox 360 case. Now with my 12v fan mod and the black case my 360 is running without any problems and i know how to fix 3 red light perminantly without soldering and no heat gun/ towel. and because of doing the 12v fan mod im preventing the 3 red lights.