• Please log in to reply
    2 replies to this topic

#1 L337 Box

L337 Box

I Am The EL1T3 B0X!

• VIP

• 542 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

Most people of iBotModz don't know that many techniques or styles of gameplay that can give you an extra boost in you score for guitar hero. so i will give you a Complete guide to Squeezing

Introduction:

Welcome to my Squeezing Guide! After you're done reading I'm hoping that you will know everything there is to know about squeezing in Guitar Hero.

This guide talks about all of the Guitar Hero games in the series including GH1, GH2, GH:80s, GH3, GH:OT (soon to come), and GH:A. Due to the different game engines, there are actually quite a few differences in squeezing between each game. All of those differences will be explained in this guide with thorough detail. If any questions still persist after you have read this guide, please feel free to ask.

This guide assumes you already know how Star Power works. If you don't know, then go here to learn about that.

What is Squeezing?

To put it to a definition: Squeezing is using Guitar Hero's timing window to accumulate more points (and essentially notes) under Star Power than one would normally be able to without squeezing.

How to Squeeze

Well, to squeeze, you must activate SP just before hitting a note as late as possible, thus making your SP start later and possibly even gaining an extra note at the end of an activation. Hitting note(s) early at the end of an activation allows you to squeeze even more. I advise you to watch this video by nothankyooo to get a better grasp of what a squeeze is and what it should look like before moving on. At 4:30 a slow motion replay of all the squeezes is shown. Watch how he hits the notes very late but there is still a blue flame for the note. The blue flame indicates the note was still counted under Star Power.

Sound and look confusing? It is, at first.

The Technique

So how can YOU squeeze? Most squeezers use the back/select button to activate SP. If you're using an SG, Les Paul, or Kramer, then you're in luck. If you're using an Xplorer, try using this mod to help out with the terribly positioned Back button. To activate SP with the back/select button...you...press it. The technique for squeezing while pressing the back/select button is this: all in one motion use your palm/wrist area/side of hand to hit the back/select button while strumming at nearly simultaneous times. MAKE SURE YOU HIT THE BACK/SELECT BUTTON FIRST. I can't stress that part enough. Some people use their pinky to activate SP as well, but I personally use my palm/side of hand. It's all about personal preference, try out each method and see which works best for you.

Whatever method you choose, the closer together your back/select button press and strum are, the better of a squeeze you're going to get. Throughout this entire process you want to hit the note you are squeezing as late as possible. This allows your SP to start later. The later your SP lasts, the later it will end as well, and the later it ends usually means more points for you. Its a lot to take in, but once you understand it, it's really not that hard at all.

If hitting the select/back button is too uncomfortable for you to do while strumming, then tilting is also an option. It is generally much more difficult to perform a good squeeze while tilting, but using this method is still available and can sometimes be just as effective.

I'm not sure if there's a better or different way to describe basic squeezing, and if there is, or a better way for me to word something, please let me know.

Terms I Will Use Throughout the Guide

Ticks - On a sustained note, your score incrementally increases. Each incremental increase is referred to as a tick. A single tick is worth 1 point times your multiplier at the time and there are 25 ticks per beat.
    Center of the note - The exact moment that a note is supposed to be hit, i.e. the notes precise timing on the note chart.
    Front-End Squeeze - The squeeze at the beginning of an activation, when you press the back button.
    Back-End Squeeze - The squeeze at the end of an activation, when you strum a note early to squeeze it under SP.
    BPM - Beats Per Minute, i.e. The tempo of a song at a particular point.
    Under Star Power - Hitting a note while Star Power is activated is considered hitting it "Under Star Power".
    16th note - There are 16 of these in one 4/4 measure if played consecutively.
    8th note - There are 8 of these in one 4/4 measure if played consecutively.
    Quarter note - There are 4 of these in one 4/4 measure if played consecutively.
    Double/Triple Squeeze - Hitting another 2 or 3 notes under SP more than one normally could due to squeezing. (Explained in much more detail later in the guide)
    HO/POs - Hammerons/Pulloffs
    Upperbound - The projected optimal score of a song with 100% squeeze.
    Optimal - The highest possible score on a song.

Everything You Need to Know About GH1, GH2, and GH:80s Squeezing

BPM: Hopefully coming soon!

Squeezing HO/POs: Squeezing a HO/PO at the beginning of an activation is one of the hardest things to do when talking in squeezing terms. This is because you must connect your left hand and right hand doing two different things at the exact same time. When squeezing a HO/PO as a front-end squeeze, wait until the end of a note's timing window and then press Back button followed by the corresponding fret immediately after. I would advise to NOT strum for the note, as if you actually succeeded in fretting the note as late as possible, then strumming the note would ALWAYS result in a broken note streak. This is quite similar to your regular squeeze, except the fret replaces the strum bar.

A back-end HO/PO squeeze is fairly similar to a regular note back-end squeeze, you can't hit the fret any earlier than a regular note i.e. the timing window is still the same, but the fact that it is a HO/PO may still help you none the less. I would always strum the note as early as possible just like you normally should. You have to hold down the fret before you strum anyways, which may help you hit the note even earlier than your attempt to with the strum.

Early Whammy: When there is a sustained SP note that you can normally whammy for to gain SP, you can actually hit it at the earliest moment of the note's timing and window and whammy early to gain more SP than was previously available to gain. This can sometimes lead to entire activations being available such as in Psychobilly Freakout on Expert. The chart is shown here. The last activation is extremely difficult to get, but it is possible to gain an activation from it. This has never been done on an FC run of this song, however.

Sustained Notes: As far as sustains go, everything is pretty much normal. If you hit a sustain early, the ticks begin at the Center of the note and continue as normal throughout. If you hit a sustain late, any "lost" ticks are regained immediately and ticks continue as normal throughout. There is no "burst" like there is in GH3 or GH:A.

Delayed Activation: In GH1 alone, there is a delayed activation "bug" in which the immediate 1 second or so after you initially gain SP you are not able to activate. For very quick Next Note activations, this can affect which note you should activate on.

In GH1, GH2, and GH:80s it is recommended to be SURE to hit the back/select button before you hit the strum bar to ensure that the note being squeeze is under star power. There is believed to be a slight delay from the moment the back/select button is hit to the time that SP is actually activated. Although this is not proven, it is recommended to be aware of this while squeezing.

Everything You Need to Know About GH3 and GH:A Squeezing

BPM: In GH3 and GH:A, at 139 BPM and 100% squeeze you are able to squeeze exactly 16th (.25) beats under the front-end and back-end squeezes, allowing you to squeeze an 8th note (.5 beats) out of an activation.

This also means that at 69.5 BPM and 100% squeeze you are able to squeeze exactly 32nd (.125) beats under the front-end and back-end squeezes, allowing you to squeeze one 16th note.

Furthermore, at 104.25 BPM and 100% squeeze you are able to squeeze exactly 24th (.1875) beats under the front-end and back-end squeezes, allowing you to squeeze one triplet or one 12th note.

This information is very helpful in creating optimal paths.

Squeezing HO/POs: Squeezing a HO/PO at the beginning of an activation is one of the hardest things to do when talking in squeezing terms. This is because you must connect your left hand and right doing two different things at the exact same time. When squeezing a HO/PO as a front-end squeeze, wait until the end of a note's timing window and then press Back button followed by the corresponding fret immediately after. I would advise to NOT strum for the note, as if you actually succeeded in fretting the note as late as possible, then strumming the note would ALWAYS result in a broken note streak. This is quite similar to your regular squeeze, except the fret replaces the strum bar.

Now squeezing a HO/PO at the back-end of an activation is one of the easiest things to do in GH3. Just hold down the corresponding fret as early as possible before it comes and (as long as your SP lasts long enough) you will squeeze the note as much as possible every time and will hit it under SP. Try to hit the notes before the HO/PO as early as possible as well to extend the time even more that you will be able to hold down the fret early, just to make sure.

In GH:A, however, a back-end HO/PO squeeze is fairly similar to a regular note back-end squeeze, you can't hit the fret any earlier than a regular note i.e. the timing window is still the same, but the fact that it is a HO/PO may still help you none the less. I would always strum the note as early as possible just like you normally should. You have to hold down the fret before you strum anyways, which may help you hit the note even earlier than your attempt to with the strum.

Burst Theory: This theory is the key to getting most high scores in GH3 and GH:A. According to this theory, sustain notes contain a "burst" of ticks at the beginning and end of a sustained note. The earlier you hit a sustained note, the larger "burst" of ticks you will be given at the Center of the note. The later you hit a sustained note, the larger "burst" of ticks will be given at the end of a sustained note. You will NOT be given ANY ticks if you hit a note early until the Center of the note passes by. However the earlier you hit it, the larger that burst will be if you are able to get that burst. Lets take Mississippi Queen on Expert for example.

Now look at the first activation. It ends on the sustained RB chord. The first thing you want to look at is that it is passed the Center of the note, and thus you can get ticks from it. The earlier you hit that RB chord, the more ticks you will get. Remember though, if your squeeze at the beginning of the activation on the Orange note wasn't squeezed enough, then your SP will not last past the Center of the RB chord, and thus you will not gain any ticks at all, although you may still get the 400 more points for getting the chord under SP. This type of squeeze is called a Tick Squeeze.

Advanced Burst Theory Techniques: Now, lets take Hit Me With Your Best Shot on Expert to explain a more advanced technique for using the burst theory. The chart can be found here.

Take a look at the second activation. It shows that it should start right on the end of the of the GY sustained chord. It shows that we should be able to gain ticks from the end of that sustain, as well. Now using our burst theory, we know that when we hit a sustained note late, we get a larger burst of ticks at the end of that sustain. Knowing this, the later we hit this GY sustain chord the larger burst of ticks we will gain at the end of the sustain, and remember we're activating SP at the end of sustain, so that means more ticks under SP for us. More ticks under SP = More Points. And I say More Points is Made of Win. Not Practice Mode. This type of squeeze is known as a Reverse Tick Squeeze.

NOTE: I would advise you guys not to try and do this squeeze except for the reason to try out the burst theory and see what hitting the note late/early does to your score. Getting ticks at the end of the sustain and still hitting that last orange note under SP is more frustrating than it is worth.

For another advanced technique, lets take a look at Pink on Medium.

Now take a look at the second activation. It shows the activation starting on a sustain and ending almost on a sustain. Lets move this activation forward 1/2 beat so that its RIGHT at the end of the RY sustain. To fully utilize our burst theory in this situation, like last time, hit that RY sustain late to create a larger burst of ticks at the end of the RY sustain (which is under SP) to gain more points. On that last Yellow sustain, again utilizing our burst theory, you will want to hit it as early as possible so that you will gain a larger burst of ticks at the beginning of that note. This takes the previous two burst theory techniques and puts them into the same activation, gaining many more points than would have been previously possible. This type of squeeze utilizes our regular Tick Squeeze and our Reverse Tick squeeze into the same activation.

NOTE: No matter what you will ALWAYS have the same total amount of ticks per sustain given that you fully hold the sustain out. If you have a larger burst of ticks at the beginning of your sustain, then at the end you will have a smaller burst and vice versa.

Everything You Need to Know About GH:OT Squeezing

Coming Soon!

Miscellaneous Squeezing Information

Cheating: Squeezing is NOT considered cheating on Scorehero or Pro Face Off online. You may submit scores in which you have squeezed.

Double and Triple Squeezing: So you've heard these terms before..what exactly do they mean? Well the best way to explain is by example.

Take a look at the Draw the Line Medium chart located here.

Now lets look at the third activation. If we add up the whammied SP we get 7.5 beats. Add this to the 4 Measures of SP already acquired and we get 5 measures and 3.5 beats of SP (because there are 4 beats per measure). The SP path chart, however, shows that we should be able to squeeze in notes that span 6 full measures. With a normal squeeze, or "Single Squeeze," we can make it to the first green note in measure 84, i.e. squeeze in notes spanning exactly 5 measures plus 3.5 beats. But with a very good squeeze, in this case a "Double Squeeze," we can actually get those 6 measures worth of notes with only 5 measures and 3.5 beats of SP, which is a full 8th note short of the 6 measures of notes we are squeezing under Star Power. Getting that extra note under SP beyond the normal squeeze is considered a "Double Squeeze." If it were also possible to get that next red note under SP, then that would be a "Triple Squeeze," and so on and so forth. To put the word to a definition: A double squeeze is getting 2 more notes under SP than one would normally be able to get without squeezing.

Upperbound: Upperbound is the projected optimal score of a song determined by debr/tma on their websites found here and here respectively. When someone says something like "+40 UB!", they are stating that they have 40 more points than the projected upperbound score. Often on GH3 and GH:A the upperbound scores are beaten due to the Burst Theory, as this theory has not yet been added to the coding that is used by debr and tma.

Tricks for Squeezing HO/POs: This only works in GH2, GH:80s, and GH:A. So you wanna front-end squeeze a HO/PO but can't quite get it down? Try this example and see if it'll help you out. Check out the Train Kept a Rollin' Medium Path located here.

Now look at the third activation. The red note you are supposed to activate on is a HO/PO. (Trust me, it is) Now because of the non-infinite front-end timing window of GH:A, if you play the yellow note just before it very early and immediately switch to the red fret BEFORE the timing window of the red note begins, then you are able to squeeze that note just as normally as any regular note that is not a HO/PO by strumming it.

Another trick in GH2 for Front-end HO/PO squeezing: Sometimes if you miss a particular HO/PO and restart the song, that particular note will become bugged and you won't be able to hit it unless you strum it. This can be used to your advantage by intentionally bugging the HO/PO note you want to squeeze. This is not guaranteed to work, but it's worth a shot if you're having trouble.

Difference in Games

So here is just a quick reference to the differences in squeezing between GH1, GH2/GH:80s, GH3, GH:OT, and GH:A.

GH1: Delay between initial SP accumulation and ability to activate. Fixed tick accumulation. Requires more deliberate activation before the front-end squeeze note. Pre-tilting does not work.

GH2/GH:80s: Fixed tick accumulation. Requires more deliberate activation before the front-end squeeze note. Pre-tilting does not work.

GH3: Larger timing window. Inifinite front-end HO/PO timing window. Tick Burst Theory. Can activate and strum essentially simultaneously.

GH:OT: Coming soon....

GH:A: Larger timing window. Tick Burst Theory. Can activate and strum essentially simultaneously.

Edited by L337 Box, 26 August 2008 - 12:06 AM.

#2 Slidell

Slidell

IBM Life Support

• VIP

• 2,863 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:03 PM

wow that was alot of typeing nice job though :huh:

#3 SmokiestGrunl

SmokiestGrunl

Australian Retired Staff

• Retired Staff

• 3,888 posts