• Please log in to reply
    10 replies to this topic

#1 xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx

Private

• Members+

• 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:03 AM

[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:97c91i8pJo_CxM:http://www.objects-of-design.com/UploadImages/ProductImages/LargeImages/Letter-M-260.jpg[/img]any people are skeptical about Jailbreaking their iPod Touch. Some have no idea what the point is and others are afraid of the risk. I am here to answer alot of those questions.

Q: Whats so good about Jailbreaking the iPod?

A: Its jailbreaking the iPod that really brings out its true capabilities. Not only is it a media device, it is now basically a computer. From games like TTR (its like guitar hero but for you fingers) to Touchpad (an app that connects the iPod to you computer via wireless internet and turns the touch screen into a touchpad) to internet radio, the possibilities seem almost endless. You can also see that the accelerometer doesnt just detect if its turn sideways, but with apps like AcceleroLog, it basically turns a media player into a seismograph. With jailbreaking, you are no longer bound to the grip of wi-fi when playing games, you can just easily download and play.

Q: Well doesnt Jailbreaking void the warrenty?

A: Yes is does. But if there is something wrong with your iPod, just simply format it through iTunes to the latest firmware and you should be good as new. If it isnt then all traces of your iPod being Jailbroken no longer exists. There is a very low risk for people not allowing for it to be returned.

Q: Cant the iPod be bricked?
    A: Not really. There has only been a few times that this has happened and each time it was with a developers iPod. This rule goes for all devices, not just iPods. Anytime you are updating a device you are always running a risk of the device failing. From a simple clock change to a custom firmware, there is always something that can go wrong. Think of the PSP for an example. When updating a PSP who remembers what happens if the battery dies, falls out, or the power cable gets unplugged? Yup, its bricked and will most likely not work again either. So yes you CAN technically brick your iPod but it is extremely unlikely. Most of the time you will just need a simple reboot or at most a recovery.

Q: Well the App Store is coming out, wont that do the same time.
    A: It will do some of what Jailbreaking can do but not all. Jailbreaking allows you to modify your firmware and software freely. When developers submit apps to Apple for the App Store, Apple will deny anything that lets you modify any of that. Another thing is that Apple is going to be charging for app from the App Store and Jailbreaking is almost free, just the cost of buying an iPod Touch.

Q: Well cant Apple just patch the iPods to not allow them to be Jailbroken?
    A: Yes, but new ways can always be found. Think, the only way would be if Apple completely locked down the device, then YES Jailbreaking would be stopped, but then so would be syncing and updating.

Q: Ok so I see that Jailbreaking is worth it, how easy is it though?
    A: Very, depending on the Firmware version of the iPod the methods are going to be different. For example, the 1.1.2/3 version of the iPod can be modded by first modding a 1.1.1 iPod and then upgrading, and the 1.1.4 can easily be Jailbroken from its factory condition.

Q: Ok so how do I do this.
    A: Read up on it, google it, visit other forums. Many places will tell you how to and what they think the best way is. Personally I like http://www.iPodTouchFans.com for when I feel like playing around with my iPod.

Q: Ok what about the iPhone?

A: All the answers are the same EXCEPT the bricking. Bricking the iPhone is alot more common than the iPod and caution should be taken.

Q: Will you have my babies?
    A: Yes, yes I will...

Now please thank me for writing up an awesome Q&A

#2 SmokiestGrunl

SmokiestGrunl

Australian Retired Staff

• Retired Staff

• 3,888 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

Use some bbcode in your post and it will be great!

#3 chederz

chederz

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 124 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

Nice post, now i'll try jailbreaking my iPod.

Q: Will you have my babies?
    A: Yes, yes I will...

Now please thank me for writing up an awesome Q&A

lol, and thanks.

#4 xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx

Private

• Members+

• 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

Use some bbcode in your post and it will be great!

is that better?!

#5 Snowmon333♥

Snowmon333♥

• Retired Staff

• 1,029 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

It looks good

#6 xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx

Private

• Members+

• 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:43 PM

yay thanks

#7 SmokiestGrunl

SmokiestGrunl

Australian Retired Staff

• Retired Staff

• 3,888 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:50 AM

Looks great. It makes it much easier to read now.

#8 HaloGen713

HaloGen713

Private Grade 2

• Members

• 55 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:50 AM

No offense to you, but NOBODY do this. With the release of the app store, it isn't worth risking your warrant.

#9 Snowmon333♥

Snowmon333♥

• Retired Staff

• 1,029 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:29 AM

actually lots of people do

#10 xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx

Private

• Members+

• 33 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:58 AM

You really think nobody does this? A huge percentage of the iPod Touch and iPhone owners jailbreak them.

#11 .Slack♠

.Slack♠

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 4

• VIP

• 1,033 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:37 PM

No offense to you, but NOBODY do this. With the release of the app store, it isn't worth risking your warrant.

you wouldnt believe how many people do by doing this you can install a microphone and another app that lets you use your touch as a phone whenever theres a wifi connection.Theres lots of things you can do i plan on buying a touch then jailbreaking it.