• Please log in to reply
    4 replies to this topic

#1 fattwam

fattwam

General Grade 2

• Sub-Admins

• 3,979 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

0 ok i no there is a bunch of tuts out on how to do this but none are very specific about the power supply 0 i will have pics asap sorry.i got my fan at frys for $10.00.........it has red leds but it comes in a bunch of diferent colors......

OK lets get started.First thing u need to do is unscrew the screws on the bottom of the xbox and take the top off.

next unplug the red yellow and two black wires connected to the hard drive.

there are two screws located near the front of the disk drive take those out.

there is one more screw located between the disk drive and the hard drive.

carefully lift the hard drive out and unplug the strip wire from it.

now lift the disk drive out and un plug the the strip wire from the mother board.u will also see a plug of yellow wires connected to the board unplug those and take the disk drive out.

now would be a great time to blow the dust out of ur xbox(mine had tons of dust)

now u should be looking at a big green mother board and a tan colored board.unplug the 3 prong plug that gives power to the fan.unplug the wires for the controller ports and the wires for the eject button and power light.take all the screws out of both boards and remove the boards.

now there should be nothing in the xbox case except the fan?=)

look at the fan. on each side of the fan there should be clips that allow the fan to snap into place.carefully use a flat head screw driver and pry the clip away from the fan on 1 side and lift up on the fan. lift up enough so that the fan is not clipped in on that side.do the same on the other side and remove the fan.

smoke break!!!!!!

now take a pair of pliers grab a hold of 1 of the fan clips and bend the clip toward where the fan used to be untill it snaps off nice and clean like.if u do it away from where the fan used to be it will not break off nice and clean like.do the same to the other clip.this makes room for the new 80mm fan WITH LEDs.

ok take ur new fan.we are gunna have to modify it a little to make it fit properly.if u look at ur new fan u will see that there are 4 mounting brackets at each corner they will have holes for screws.take a pair of angle cutters/wire cutters or a dremmel(i used wire cutters and a file)and cut off the bottom brackets.to make shure that u are cutting the bottom brackets look at the fan and see where the wires are coming from.the wires come out the top of the fan.file the corners down nice and smooth like.

put the new fan aside for now.take a look at the case and where the fan used to be.u dont have to do this but i did for better lighting effect fron the leds.u will see a grill in the sheet metal behind where the fan used to be.what i did was take a pair of wire cutters and removed the grill.

now take ur new fan and place it where it is supposed to go.use a sharpe or some kind of marker and mark the sheet metal where the top mounting brackets are.

use a drill or dremmel and a 5/32 size drill bit and drill a hole in the sheet metal where u should have marked it for the top brackets.

ok use the screws supplied and mount the the fan.

now we reassemble the guts of the xbox.

9 place the mother board and the power supply board back into the xbox and screw all of the screws backdown.dont forget any of them.

0 plug all of the controller port wires and the eject button wires back in to the mother board.

1 ur new fan should have came with a molex wire splitter adapter.1 end of the wire will have a 3 prong plug just like the stock fan.plug that in to the mother board where the original fan plug was.the other end of the adaptor will have a 4 prong plug with a red and black wire.leave that alone for now out side of the xbox case.

2 now pick up ur disk drive (not the hard drive)and plug the strip wire and the yellow wires back into the mother board and set the disk drive in the case and screw the 2 mounting screws for the disk drive back in.

3 ok now we are gunna have to modify the tray for the hard drive so the hard drive can fit into the xbox.look at the hard drive u will see 4 screws.2 on each side of the hard drive,take all 4 out and remove the hard drive from the tray.

4 ok on the tray for the hard drive will not fit in the xbox because of the new 80mm super quiet fan.with LEDs.take a look at the tray and u will see a sticker that says warning remove power supply or something like that.thats the end u have to cut.place the tray where its supposed to go and use a marker to mark the piece u have to cut out so the fan fits real nice=).should be right around where that warning sticker is.use a dremmel or small saw to cut out the piece of plastic.

5 once u have the hard drive tray cut to fit,place the hard drive in the tray and screw all 4 screws back in,and place the hard drive back in to the case.

6 now plug the strip wire and the red,2black,and yellow wires back into the hard drive.and screw the screw thats between the disk and hard drives in.

7 now take the other end of the molex wire splitter adapter that came with ur new fan(red and black wires)and plug that right in to the wires that u plugged in to the hard drive.(there should be a female end to the plug thats plugged into the hard drive).

8 now for the moment of truth.get ur power cord to ur xbox and plug it in.push the power button.if u did this according to this tut the fan will spin and the lights will turn on.if it worked give ur self a pat on the back and put the lid back on.i had a little trouble putting the lid back on OF COURSE RIGHT AT THE FREEKIN END OF THE JOB but eventually it fit.my fan also came with a 3 way external switch for the fan speed.u can put that where ever u want, i put mine right out side of the plastic grill.u dont really need the switch with a modded xbox but i used mine anyway(looks fancy).

not only does it look kool because of the lights the 80mm fan keeps ur xbox nice and cool and quiet. with the old fan the xbox got up to about 145 degrees,with the 80mm fan it keeps the xbox between 115 and 120 degrees.

if u try this and have any questions about it just post it under this tut=)

and once again ill be getting pics asap sorry about that.

#2 truck6

truck6

Recruit

• Members+

• 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

this is truck6s tut word for word i posted it months ago on the old site u should give me aaaaallllllll of the credit for this.....

#3 fattwam

fattwam

General Grade 2

• Sub-Admins

• 3,979 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

sorry dude i posted almost 100 topics yesterday i might of forgot to give you credit my bad

#4 truck6

truck6

Recruit

• Members+

• 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:07 PM

i am not really angry about it a simple edit will suffice.thanks for the credit fatwam.and thanks for moving this to the new site too,im semi flattered....

#5 fattwam

fattwam

General Grade 2

• Sub-Admins

• 3,979 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

i am not really angry about it a simple edit will suffice.thanks for the credit fatwam.and thanks for moving this to the new site too,im semi flattered....

lol .. flattered