• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    30 replies to this topic

#1 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:11 PM

Heres what the staff have decided. Hate it or not. Were doing it. Every since MFone has racked in 1000 members on Halo 3 Modding content we've had plenty of spammers post pointless junk in effort to gain the 100 post count to get into the VIP section.

The problem.
    -Spammers getting into VIP
    -Using GoogleBot to access VIP (Fixed he he)
    -Not VIP content being posted

The fix.
    -200 posts for VIP
    -All new topics in VIP will have to be approved by staff, new replies will not.
    -Permissions and security increased to prevent glitching into section

The timeline.
    -On June 16, at noon my time. I will remove VIP section for everyone, but myself. I then will sort through and delete anything I don't think is VIP worthy. I will then BBCODE the good posts and make them look a bit nicer. I will also upload any program/music/file that can fit under our 5MB limit.

-On June 18, at same time. I will re-instate the VIP back to the public. Except it will require 200 posts. The VIP group is being deleted, then remade. So all current members will be automatically removed from it. Then the auto post upgrader will only take the users with 200 posts to cut down on spam.

Notes
    -I don't care if you made 1 awesome topic and you have 199 posts. I'm not letting you in till you get the right amount of posts.

Staff
    -Please I'd rather do this myself, since my definition of "neat" and "post format setup" is a tad different than most.
    -Remember to write descriptions in the ban field, we have lots of banned members now. A member without ban description is unbanned in 24 hours automatically now, so do your job to keep that banned member banned.

The new spam rule (site wide)

If we catching you spamming BEFORE you hit VIP then.... you will be warned and a 1 hour ban will be applied to keep you from continuing spamming

If we catch you twice spamming before you hit VIP then...Another warning to let staff know, and a 2 day ban

If we catch you spamming and you made it into VIP and stopped right on 200, or 201 etc then... You will be dropped around the number of posts you spammed, could be all of them

If you spam for VIP and get it, then spam for VIP and get it then..I will simply check the box in ACP that says "prevent member from entering _______group, just guess what I will put in there.

#2 Dark Slipstream

Dark Slipstream

Blue Shadowz Owner

• Members+

• 2,829 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:18 PM

Excellent idea. I also approved of this, it is definitely needed. At least now it will stay a bit organized. I feel bad ill be outa VIP for a few days , well so will everyone else . lol, Improved VIP. The thought makes me all tingly!

#3 Sweeney

Sweeney

Corporal Grade 2

• Members+

• 272 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

Yay!! This was kinda almost my idea.

#4 Xx Legacy xX

Xx Legacy xX

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 3

• Members+

• 818 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

well its a good sign that we have spammers.

good job mfone we are back up

and i think elis idea for sub mods or helpers as you will would help greatly!

#5 Dark Slipstream

Dark Slipstream

Blue Shadowz Owner

• Members+

• 2,829 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

sub mods, helpers? what is that supposed to mean. lol. do you mean like Sub-Moderators? like a Sub-Admin. In that case, sign me up!

I can't wait for the new reply update, and VIP update.. it'll be great!

#6 SmokiestGrunl

SmokiestGrunl

Australian Retired Staff

• Retired Staff

• 3,888 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

Peaches are you sure you don't want help? You could give me the post then I could make it look good and send it back to you.

PS. I think I have a mental illness, because when ever your doing something peaches I feel the need to help no matter what the job is.

#7 Xx Legacy xX

Xx Legacy xX

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 3

• Members+

• 818 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

sub mods, helpers? what is that supposed to mean. lol. do you mean like Sub-Moderators? like a Sub-Admin. In that case, sign me up!

I can't wait for the new reply update, and VIP update.. it'll be great!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3805 yeah i ment this

and your really active

i think you would make a good helper thing because your really active in the halo section and thats where most the spamming goes on

-Legacy

#8 Dark Slipstream

Dark Slipstream

Blue Shadowz Owner

• Members+

• 2,829 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

http://www.ibotmodz.....php?f=7&t=3805 yeah i ment this

and your really active

i think you would make a good helper thing because your really active in the halo section and thats where most the spamming goes on

-Legacy

Thanks, that means a lot to me! .

I like helping other people, it makes myself feel better knowing I made a difference. Or at least beleiving/thinking I did. . I also agree that most spamming/unwanted posts or threads are in Halo, because people know that's where everyone looks/posts. I used to only go to the halo section, but im also in Tech. Support, VIP, Computer/Xbox 360 and other sections now to, im starting to expand. I try to get in as many "helps" as I can every day, mostly once i get home because i have a tonne of energy. .

I'm not the kind of person to bother others to get what I want, unless it sounds cool, lol. If I was offered Moderator/Support or anything, i would accept knowing my own duties. It would be cool, because im on so often and I always notice un-needed posts/topics because i actually read posts, instead of posting before i read anything at all.

Hope all that made some sort of sense!

#9 REDSTAR 105

REDSTAR 105

Insert Custom Title Here.

• Donors+

• 775 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:33 PM

Well, sucks for me, i hate spammers, oh well ill get to 200 posts soon, ive been clicking thit post reply button like its mo job, seriously, anyway, i think the fix is a very good idea. Im glad that its going online soon!

#10 sparta

sparta

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 192 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

that is actually a good idea
    i don't like all these spammers recently getting vip even if i lose it i don't care because it's for the good the the website

#11 Dark Slipstream

Dark Slipstream

Blue Shadowz Owner

• Members+

• 2,829 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:00 PM

If my input could actually mean something, the VIP post count should be 250. Just to see who will spam their way back up, or to pull out the true VIP's. That way it slows down most people.

#12 LEX255

LEX255

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 119 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:52 AM

200 post??????

#13 Laxmonster54♥

Laxmonster54♥

Im one hell of a sexy man...

• Retired Staff

• 1,053 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

^^^^200 posts to much? You will get there, just take your time.^^^^

Sounds great.
    We need all of this. I think the vip does need redoing. It was starting to look really sloppy imo.
    Cant wait to see the out come.

#14 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:58 AM

Its looking great. I apologize to people whos VIP content was deleted. I'm making it look nice. All new VIP topics will have to go through a staff member now before they are allowed. To keep it clean.

#15 TheMasterSnail

TheMasterSnail

No Timmy Don't Jump!

• Retired Staff

• 461 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

FINALLY you took my idea of boosting to 200 posts! i think this should help us with the spamming because we can catch them out now!

#16 killerskittle

killerskittle

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 100 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:35 AM

Well sucks for me..........NOT.....you guys just missed out on a bunch of cool stuff going into the vip section....like all the AIO's that was me!!!!
    -NICK-

#17 skipper132

skipper132

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 194 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

This is good but where do we draw the line beetween spamming and regualar posting i mean its a matter of opinion

so we should set a fine line between whats spanning and whats not you see?

#18 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

This is good but where do we draw the line beetween spamming and regualar posting i mean its a matter of opinion

so we should set a fine line between whats spanning and whats not you see?

I know spamming when I see it. It has no line. You know when your spamming. Replying "cool program" when the Download count is still at 0 shows your spamming. Just an example...

#19 Random1225

Random1225

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 986 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

i didnt realize spamming had become such a problem but after seeing it has i think this is a really good idea hope it goes well

#20 isaacmatthews

isaacmatthews

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 98 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

o ffs iv been working so *ing hard for these past couple of days to get to 100 posts, and i was so close =[ ah well, good about getting rid of those spammers =] can i haz reconz noew