• Please log in to reply
    11 replies to this topic

#1 Slidell

Slidell

IBM Life Support

• VIP

• 2,863 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

"The key question for me in managing the studio and the creatives is 'what is Halo?,' making sure Halo lives up to what I think gamers fell in love with [playing Combat Evolved]... What does that mean? Playing Master Chief. We kind of lost our way a little bit, I’ll say. And that’s why I wanted to make sure that at the unveiling of Halo 4, you knew you were playing Master Chief, that John was back. Because Master Chief is the John Wayne character of that universe, and that’s who you want to play."

So, what do you guys think? I don't really think John is a necessary part of Halo, he's important yes, but he's played that role. I think they should move on to a new protagonist. It just makes sense, new developer, new story, new character. I'm also not incredibly attached to John, he never shows a personality, besides the occasional one liner. He has a better one in the books, it'd be interesting if that showed up in the games.

#2 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

"The key question for me in managing the studio and the creatives is 'what is Halo?,' making sure Halo lives up to what I think gamers fell in love with [playing Combat Evolved]... What does that mean? Playing Master Chief. We kind of lost our way a little bit, I’ll say. And that’s why I wanted to make sure that at the unveiling of Halo 4, you knew you were playing Master Chief, that John was back. Because Master Chief is the John Wayne character of that universe, and that’s who you want to play."

So, what do you guys think? I don't really think John is a necessary part of Halo, he's important yes, but he's played that role. I think they should move on to a new protagonist. It just makes sense, new developer, new story, new character. I'm also not incredibly attached to John, he never shows a personality, besides the occasional one liner. He has a better one in the books, it'd be interesting if that showed up in the games.

Halo Wars was plenty fun without john, although it will be nice to play as him again. While im talking about Halo Wars, I will say I hope they fix the cliff hanger ending in halo 4.....
    Spoiler

#3 Slidell

Slidell

IBM Life Support

• VIP

• 2,863 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

Halo Wars was plenty fun without john, although it will be nice to play as him again. While im talking about Halo Wars, I will say I hope they fix the cliff hanger ending in halo 4.....

Spoiler

I'm hoping it's Onyx that you find. Because Fred, Linda, Kelly, Lucy, Tom, Jun (presumably) and Halsey are on Onyx. And I'd like to see those guys make an in game appearance. Also the campaign would probably end up being something like reach, in that you'd be working with other Spartans instead of being on your own. John could take on the role of Carter, it'd be interesting to see him plan something.It'd be cool if you played as Fred who is basically John.

Edited by Slidell, 12 July 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#4 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

I'm hoping it's Onyx that you find. Because Fred, Linda, Kelly, Lucy, Tom, Jun (presumably) and Halsey are on Onyx. And I'd like to see those guys make an in game appearance. Also the campaign would probably end up being something like reach, in that you'd be working with other Spartans instead of being on your own. John could take on the role of Carter, it'd be interesting to see him plan something.

Not likely, Onyx was destroyed, and the Spartans are inside the shield world.

#5 Slidell

Slidell

IBM Life Support

• VIP

• 2,863 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

Not likely, Onyx was destroyed, and the Spartans are inside the shield world.

I meant the Shield world. It's on Onyx, in more specifically.

Edited by Slidell, 12 July 2011 - 08:34 PM.

#6 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

I meant the Shield world. It's on Onyx, in more specifically.

Actually, Onyx was the human world that was destroyed when the shield world was activated. It is protected by millions of sentinals and a slipspace barrier. </halonerd>

#7 Slidell

Slidell

IBM Life Support

• VIP

• 2,863 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

Actually, Onyx was the human world that was destroyed when the shield world was activated. It is protected by millions of sentinals and a slipspace barrier. </halonerd>

I only got about part way through Onyx I knew that the entrance was inside of the planet. And that the planet it's self was artificial, created by the forerunners for the shield world.

#8 mangriff32

mangriff32

Sergeant Grade 3

• VIP

• 486 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

The planet itself was constructed by forerunners, it was made up of millions upon millions of sentinels that came apart when the slipspace barrier was activated. The humans colonized the planet without knowing the true design of the planet until the covenant arrived.

#9 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:44 AM

The planet itself was constructed by forerunners, it was made up of millions upon millions of sentinels that came apart when the slipspace barrier was activated. The humans colonized the planet without knowing the true design of the planet until the covenant arrived.

Basically, all the "Shield World" is is a slipspace portal heavily defended by sentinals. The Spartans are attempting to find a way out.

#10 REDSTAR 105

REDSTAR 105

Insert Custom Title Here.

• Donors+

• 775 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

KEEP THA CHIEF!!!

#11 fattwam

fattwam

General Grade 2

• Sub-Admins

• 3,979 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

What i thought they should have done which would have been cool would be in Halo 3: ODST which was spose to be the time of Halo 2 especially during the outskirts mission it would have been cool to see John somewhere in the Halo 3 ODST campaign.

#12 Slidell

Slidell

IBM Life Support

• VIP

• 2,863 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

What i thought they should have done which would have been cool would be in Halo 3: ODST which was spose to be the time of Halo 2 especially during the outskirts mission it would have been cool to see John somewhere in the Halo 3 ODST campaign.

It starts right after John leaves, but I agree it would have been cool to fight with John.