#1 slasherking823

slasherking823

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 152 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

First Stage:
    I first joined modding sites a long time ago
    I started out just leaching off communities such as afterdawn, as I got ahold of an OG xbox and started modding it
    I had little knowledge, but i could see that these communities worked together, and people were helpful to one another

Second Stage:
    I was a noob
    I had little knowlage, and I just made stupid replies and waited for things to happen
    this is the stage that in the end doomed the modding communities

not that I have anything against noobs, its just that the ones who dont seek knowledge get hard to handle

Third Stage:
    I began to gain knowlage
    I learned how to program, I made a really stupid program
    At this point I think everything is still going steady

Fourth Stage:
    I suddenly realize that a lot of crap has been happening while I have been absorbing knowlage
    I tried to speak out, and got banned, from what I then realized, was the gayest site ever(se7engays)
    I realize what site management is, and how it needs to be done
    I come back here, to notice that things are more or less dead

Now I sit and ofter help to those who need it

What could have changed during this time? What could have saved the things that happened?
    The reason I post my history is because new members of the communities need to try to get past some obstacles:
    1st: Read
    2nd: Pay atention to what is happening, after getting a feel for basic modding
    3rd: Be helpful, this is what ruins most
    4th: Dont be afraid to say things, maybe you will get flamed, but in the end, you will know more
    5th: watch out for site cancer: if all a site has is 5year olds that dont contribute (mw2 stuff anyone), get out

I have more I could say, but I dont know if I have the time, or will

And as an addition:

Does anyone have any ideas on how things could ever go back?

EDIT:

and what about issues like rework3d, an effort to save a dying(now dead) site
    nothing is left but thousands of pages of memories of a site that was once the greatest modding site of all time

Edited by slasherking823, 16 February 2010 - 11:19 PM.

#2 Dark Slipstream

Dark Slipstream

Blue Shadowz Owner

• Members+

• 2,829 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

Is this a goodbye? Either way, it's a well written speech. First time in a long time that is actually punctually sound.

Edit: Just noticed you asked a question...

I don't see it happening. There are people out there that want to control how information is released publicly, which leads to people selling knowledge, stolen sources, etc. Se7ensins seems to house a good 90% of the problem, as well as those (few) sites (that remain,) that just leech right from other sites.

I've settled my differences with the people who horde knowledge, but they know who they are. I was one of the first to step out in the open by "leaking" private applications and knowledge, and got bashed for it. I doubt this has anything to do with me, but because of my ego, I believe that I was part of the start of all of this.

I was Administrator here, Blue Shadowz, Rogue-Mods, Gold Star Modders and a few other sites with staff, but all that remains is Blue Shadowz, the rest are all dead except iBotModz, while I was demoted here. People said "I was iBotModz", but I doubt that, it's still kind of here, but much less active. My site is more content oriented and costs next to nothing to run, so I don't really judge it.

In my own opinion, everyone should avoid his opinion for 4. Saying things gets you flamed, banned, threatened, etc. I doubt most of you can handle all the stress generated by the ignorance of the few who believe that hoarding knowledge is to "better" the community.

When sites like Se7ensins die, (I guess theres really only a couple left), the community might be able to come back.

Edited by Dark Slipstream, 17 February 2010 - 10:45 AM.

#3 Pargy

Pargy

WTF is a Pargy?

• VIP

• 1,466 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

As empires rise, they do so just to fall.

#4 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

I really don't understand why people hold back knowledge or make people pay for it. I mean, you may look all 1337 and shit up there on your throne, but the community will respect you a lot more if you just FUCKING RELEASE IT! Just my 2 cents, for what its worth.

#5 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

Is this a goodbye? Either way, it's a well written speech. First time in a long time that is actually punctually sound.

Edit: Just noticed you asked a question...

I don't see it happening. There are people out there that want to control how information is released publicly, which leads to people selling knowledge, stolen sources, etc. Se7ensins seems to house a good 90% of the problem, as well as those (few) sites (that remain,) that just leech right from other sites.

I've settled my differences with the people who horde knowledge, but they know who they are. I was one of the first to step out in the open by "leaking" private applications and knowledge, and got bashed for it. I doubt this has anything to do with me, but because of my ego, I believe that I was part of the start of all of this.

I was Administrator here, Blue Shadowz, Rogue-Mods, Gold Star Modders and a few other sites with staff, but all that remains is Blue Shadowz, the rest are all dead except iBotModz, while I was demoted here. People said "I was iBotModz", but I doubt that, it's still kind of here, but much less active. My site is more content oriented and costs next to nothing to run, so I don't really judge it.

In my own opinion, everyone should avoid his opinion for 4. Saying things gets you flamed, banned, threatened, etc. I doubt most of you can handle all the stress generated by the ignorance of the few who believe that hoarding knowledge is to "better" the community.

When sites like Se7ensins die, (I guess theres really only a couple left), the community might be able to come back.

Sadly places like that will not die easily. I see it more and more. Everyone who joins a site now believes they are "entitled" to everything with no contribution. It is annoying and irritating beyond belief.

Edited by Azraelrs, 17 February 2010 - 08:00 PM.

#6 slasherking823

slasherking823

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 152 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

I do not mean ask questions that have no research behind them that cause flame

I mean ask questions, even if assholes who think they are better than you because they know everything, will flame you for no reason at all

And about the "is this a goodbye"
    My theory is that we should all ride this to the end, as far as that goes, if we all gave up, the end would come faster

And why people dont just release things:
    1. Pride(this is the factor with many things held private that shouldn't be)
    2. Some things shouldn't be released (jesters live safe kernel patches anyone?)

Edited by slasherking823, 17 February 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#7 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

2. Some things shouldn't be released (jesters live safe kernel patches anyone?)

The only issue with that is that if you don't want people to know or you don't want to share, you should never tell anyone about it.

#8 slasherking823

slasherking823

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 152 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

The only issue with that is that if you don't want people to know or you don't want to share, you should never tell anyone about it.

agreed

I just love it who people like unknown do things, and jester, the game tuts kiddie takes credit and shows off

EDIT: and I can think of things to save this issue, but alot involve being a total dick, which doesn't solve the problem(things like some ddos wars, or withholding information when the next great modifiable game comes out)

Edited by slasherking823, 17 February 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#9 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

agreed

I just love it who people like unknown do things, and jester, the game tuts kiddie takes credit and shows off

EDIT: and I can think of things to save this issue, but alot involve being a total dick, which doesn't solve the problem(things like some ddos wars, or withholding information when the next great modifiable game comes out)

There a lots of means to an end, but generally these things take care of themselves. In the time period I myself have been around, I have seen the rise and fall of 360gs(closed communities don't work anymore), XSS (that is the result of DOS wars, and holding information),and numerous other small sites... tons of small sites.

The things you have to remember is that most sites are just straight leaches of others. In the beginning they were all taking 360gs work and spreading it, then XSS, and now I can go almost anywhere and see my hard work with credit taken (Ex.. maxconsoles, xploder,se7ensins, 360iso) but it doesn't matter because I know where all that came from. I know who made lots of those saves everyone loves. So, just keep doing what you do. Don't worry about the scammers and the pretenders because over the years I've watched countless "copy" sites fall. And it will happen eventually to all the rest. Don't sink to their level and you will rise above.

#10 slasherking823

slasherking823

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 152 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

I wont sink, but some may

I wonder what things will be like in a year

#11 mangriff32

mangriff32

Sergeant Grade 3

• VIP

• 486 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

Realistically? Modding has slowed down for the general public now, it is left for the few people that have dev kits or jTags and are willing to release information. Truthfully, I see no purpose in withholding information, all of this modding on these systems and game will be gone in a few years time, why not liven up the community while we still can? I don't mod much, but I do miss the old community, I too started off as a noob that sat there, trolled ibotmodz, looking for all the cool stuff I can do in Halo 2, but sadly, those days are over. To really revitalize the community, people need to simply be willing to share information, this is a modding COMMUNITY, not some elite group who keeps it all to themselves. The only thing I see that could bring back "everything" is willful sharing of knowledge, and you know, a easier way to jtag lol.

#12 slasherking823

slasherking823

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 152 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

unfortunately, everybody is off at se7
    and se7 isnt what i'd call a "community"

more like a ghetto

Edited by slasherking823, 17 February 2010 - 09:02 PM.

#13 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

unfortunately, everybody is off at se7
    and se7 isn't what I'd call a "community"

more like a ghetto

My name is Quinn and I approve of this post

#14 slasherking823

slasherking823

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 152 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

i wish there were internet police to break up homeless ghettos

#15 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

My name is Az and I approve of Quinn's approval of that post.

In all seriousness.... Like Peaches said. The whole thing is a fad. No reason to hold info unless you just wanna wait til it's useless. In 5 years noone will even know that any of us ever existed. They'll be a whole new set hacking their Xbox 720s and PS4... so.. just go with the flow.

#16 slasherking823

slasherking823

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 152 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

My name is Az and I approve of Quinn's approval of that post.

In all seriousness.... Like Peaches said. The whole thing is a fad. No reason to hold info unless you just wanna wait til it's useless. In 5 years noone will even know that any of us ever existed. They'll be a whole new set hacking their Xbox 720s and PS4... so.. just go with the flow.

maybee the 720s will be un-hackable and se7 will be stuck with noobs asking for hax
    lol

EDIT: and in addition:
    We wouldn't even have 360 gamesave mods if it wasnt for the 4532 KK exploit

Edited by slasherking823, 17 February 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#17 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

Every little detail contributes to the community. If you really think about it, some stuff wouldn't be out there if it weren't for us. For example the CON resigner. At first when I joined the community, it was such a big deal. It was leaked, people cried because they have no lives and care far too much for a corporation that can care less about them. What happened? People got over it, almost every program has a resigner in it now. Would 90% of programs have it if it weren't for us? No they would not. Dark leaked the source on the forums, and even people looked up too took it (they will deny it) and enhanced it to rehash better etc.

Things happen just stay on top and soak in info and you'll be good.

#18 slasherking823

slasherking823

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 152 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:59 PM

unfortunately, the current material of the community isnt absorbant

#19 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

I'm just going to butt in and say one thing that is really pissing me off right now. Everyone in the mw2 sections of se7 are all about 10th prestige lobbies. People have tons of cool game types and modified playlists that they have modded, but they won't release any details. Once someone releases those details someone higher up the ladder releases something they've had for months just to rebound back to the top. Its pathetic that almost every topic on the site is about boosting to 10th or showing a youtube video of something they can do, that others cannot.

I'm going to figure out this Thermonuclear warfare gametype and post for everyone to learn how to do it.

#20 Dark Slipstream

Dark Slipstream

Blue Shadowz Owner

• Members+

• 2,829 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:05 AM

I'm working on getting a developers kit (full thing, not a demo/test/reviewer). Once I do, I've invested in Game Programming at my college (C++ and I think one other language), and plan on modding some games and releasing mods publicly. Just so people can have fun and enjoy themselves.

This developers kit will be a legitimate one though, so I'll be on a tight leash information wise. :/