• Please log in to reply
    19 replies to this topic

#1 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

If there is one thing I have not figured out about the game industry, is the lack of customization on the users part. Halo 3's forge was a step in the right direction, but yet far to limiting. Far Cry 2's map editor was nice and all, but still missing that down and dirty lets change the way people play element. I mean, I don't want to play maps that are uniform and realistic, I want outragous maps, with crazy stuff going on. I want to be able to make weapons, at least change the paintjob on vehicles. I want to be able to flood a level, or make it as dry as a bone. These are just a few examples. And I want to do all this without modifying my console. Let the flames roll

#2 Dark Slipstream

Dark Slipstream

Blue Shadowz Owner

• Members+

• 2,829 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

I agree, they could have seriously made ODST a lot better, by adding vehicle customizations/options to Firefight, and could improved Forge on the Mythic disc. Sort of like a "Mythic only" content, like the Mythic Maps (last 3).

#3 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:44 AM

They want it to be the way THEY want it and no one else.

#4 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

sounds like the US government.... :p

#5 Diggy

Diggy

Corporal Grade 1

• Donors

• 199 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

If you think about it, game companies are going the right way. If they brought out a game where you could fully customize everything you want, they would make a lot of money of course, but they are making a lot more by bringing out little things at a time, so its good on their behalf.

#6 TheEazyB

TheEazyB

Corporal Grade 1

• Donors+

• 333 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:41 AM

Game developers have to deal with creating/using complex tools to do these things themselves, to make it available to the end user makes constant maintenance an issue as well as finalizing it.

Also, making a game where EVERYTHING can be changed is not really a game anymore at all, it's a DIY kit. People play Halo for its unique style of play. People play COD for it's more realistic feel. A game where that feel is completely warped from one session to the next is well... bad.

#7 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

Game developers have to deal with creating/using complex tools to do these things themselves, to make it available to the end user makes constant maintenance an issue as well as finalizing it.

Also, making a game where EVERYTHING can be changed is not really a game anymore at all, it's a DIY kit. People play Halo for its unique style of play. People play COD for it's more realistic feel. A game where that feel is completely warped from one session to the next is well... bad.

I'm not saying make CoD into Guitar Hero, I'm saying let me make levels and such without tight restrictions.

#8 Kurrupted Ninja

Kurrupted Ninja

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 195 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

i agree. with this. there is too much restrictions in games like invisible walls. and customizing should be like paint jobs for gun and vehicles. i don't want to go on the computer and mod a map over and over just to play it again
    they should make us the game devs

#9 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

Then add another year or two to development for every game. It would be a fun thing to have, but its just too much development time.

#10 Slidell

Slidell

IBM Life Support

• VIP

• 2,863 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

Then add another year or two to development for every game. It would be a fun thing to have, but its just too much development time.

I'd wait an extra year for all the possibility that would come from completely unlimited customization,you'd get so much more game play. After awhile the tools for it would be made and it wouldn't take as long to add.

#11 TheEazyB

TheEazyB

Corporal Grade 1

• Donors+

• 333 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

You have to remember, game developers make the games the way they imagined them. There is a whole team of people who work on creating the universes and gameplay, saying that you want to completely change that yourself is like looking at a painting and saying "They should've done it this way".

#12 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

You have to remember, game developers make the games the way they imagined them. There is a whole team of people who work on creating the universes and gameplay, saying that you want to completely change that yourself is like looking at a painting and saying "They should've done it this way".

I just had a revalation. Make games, that make games :o
    Of course this will probably never happen, nor will it fit on any 1 disk.
    Maybe they could make themed ones. Have a kit for an FPS, a kit for a command & conquer type of game etc.
    But, like I said it probably will not happen

#13 ATTIKIT

ATTIKIT

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 80 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

saying that you want to completely change that yourself is like looking at a painting and saying "They should've done it this way".

ROFL Thats what Michel Jackson said one day LOLOLOL

#14 Diggy

Diggy

Corporal Grade 1

• Donors

• 199 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

ROFL Thats what Michel Jackson said one day LOLOLOL

Michael Jackson looked at a painting and said "they should've done it this way"?

#15 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

Was it really worth the bump to make a MJ joke?

#16 lostmodz26

lostmodz26

I am lostmodz26.

• VIP

• 1,153 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

I hope Reach has some type of Forge, even though the story dosen't include the oracle.

#17 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

I hope Reach has some type of Forge, even though the story dosen't include the oracle.

or maybe a REAL level editor, forge is fun, but it sucks so much to be real time, maybe they would include both so we all win? Its a long shot, but you never know.

#18 Dark Slipstream

Dark Slipstream

Blue Shadowz Owner

• Members+

• 2,829 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:03 PM

Do you guys even know how much level editors cost to make or even purchase from another company? They are expensive as hell.

Game developers don't care if you will wait another 1+ years so they can make it more customizable. Maybe if you offered to double their salary, they might spend their lives making the game the way you want it to be.

#19 Azraelrs

Azraelrs

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 85 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

Do you guys even know how much level editors cost to make or even purchase from another company? They are expensive as hell.

Game developers don't care if you will wait another 1+ years so they can make it more customizable. Maybe if you offered to double their salary, they might spend their lives making the game the way you want it to be.

Or maybe they understand that if they gave you that ability, why would you buy Map Packs or any other "expansion" DLC? Why would you buy Halo 6 if you could have already made everything in Halo 2?

Think of the lost revenue....... Publishers aren't stupid.

#20 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

Or maybe they understand that if they gave you that ability, why would you buy Map Packs or any other "expansion" DLC? Why would you buy Halo 6 if you could have already made everything in Halo 2?

Think of the lost revenue....... Publishers aren't stupid.

but they could sell the dlc, then a year later sell the editor.