•  

• iBotModz CBox

Photo

IPB 3 or IPB 2

• Please log in to reply
    27 replies to this topic

Poll: IPB 3 or IPB 2 (18 member(s) have cast votes)

IPB 3 vs. IPB 2

1. IPB 3 (11 votes [61.11%])

Percentage of vote: 61.11%

2. IPB 2 (7 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Curtis

Curtis

Captain Grade 1

• Retired Staff

• 1,382 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

I see nothing of value in ipb3, other than eye candy.

#22 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:33 PM

IPB3
    I waited a very long time for it,
    and honestly don't regret it
    it just feels easier, you know?

#23 diet

diet

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 88 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

IPB 3 has the features of a social networking site which is good for a site like this. IPB 2 is for sites that like to just have a forum. IPB 3 has turned into a new forum version of MySpace and Facebook. I love that. So IPB 3 all the way.

Usually I'm one against ragging on others opinions and views, but khaos honestly do you even see what you just posted. How would you compare IPB3 (forum software) to that of MySpace and Facebook? These features of a social site your talking about are what? There really is nothing big on the features of IPB3 s compared to IPB2. They have just took the same stuff and added Java and AJAX. Signing in with OpenID/Facebook is more of a ease of access then a social feature.

I see nothing of value in ipb3, other than eye candy.

Exactly.

---------------

If I would compare the way I saw IPB2 as to IPB3 it would be like this:

IPB2 is Windows XP
    IPB3RC2 is Windows Vista
    IPB3 Final MAY be like Windows 7

In the end, I find no real reason to upgrade other than to get alot of eye candy and maybe a few cool features here and there.

#24 ImaGonnaGetYou

ImaGonnaGetYou

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 108 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

Well, Firefox doesn't work on my computer, so pages take forever to load even on a fast connection.

Also, A lot of the layout features are placed terribly.

I like many of the new features, such as reputation and the recent topic list, but IPB3 has so many bugs and problems with Internet Explorer that I would rather stick to IPB2 until the bugs are worked out.

EDIT: And, as diet said, I don't know what khaos was smoking when he posted that, but this site has no similarity to a social networking site besides the fact that we talk to other people, which we could do in any forum.

Edited by ImaGonnaGetYou, 16 June 2009 - 06:55 PM.

#25 iKhaosmaster

iKhaosmaster

Yawn

• Members+

• 1,346 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

You do know half of the IPB 3 Support Team would agree with me right?

#26 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:03 AM

The coding is vastly improved, the ability to hook into points of code without any file edits.

The product was built for modification, and to update without ruining those modifications. All buttons are CSS not images so they can be translated on the fly, and much more more.

#27 diet

diet

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 88 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

...Firefox doesn't work on my computer
    ...with Internet Explorer

You should try Google Chrome. It is that fastest browser I've tried and run it on my machine along side Firefox. Plus it gets 100/100 on the Acid3 Test.

You do know half of the IPB 3 Support Team would agree with me right?

Agree with you on what? That it has social features? Cool, what social features do you mean? Also they would not agree with you that their software is like MySpace or Facebook. I know quite a few people on the IPB3 core build team along with the main people who work on all the graphics for IPB3 (Blog, Downloads, etc) none of them would compare this to MySpace. If you could please tell me which social features you are talking about then maybe I can understand you and/or agree, but just saying it has social features like is not going to help me.

...ability to hook into points of code without any file edits.
    ...All buttons are CSS not images

I love that about the file edits and mods, again one of the features I truely like.
    The buttons not being images and CSS can really be considered good or bad. I don't know how flexible they made it with that, but I know alot of websites that have special wants for their add reply, closed, new topic, etc. buttons that would other wise look bad if you used just normal text.

#28 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

Yeah a tad bit of design is lost when doing it when CSS. However, they could of done more with CSS if half the population ran more than IE6 :(