28 replies to this topic

#1 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

How to flash your Xbox360's firmware

A guide on flashing your firmware to allow you to play backups or burned games without being detected by Xbox Live.

First of all, the very first thing you will need to do is find out what type of drive you have. Use the diagrams below to determine this.

Pop off your faceplate, and look in the little hole in the drive at the color of the wires.

Samsung:
    360dvdhole_007.jpg
    If you have this, click here!

Hitachi:
    360dvdhole_005.jpg
    If you have this, click here (external guide)!

BenQ:
    360dvdhole_006.jpg

LiteOn:
    360dvdhole_008.jpg

Credits:
    Team Jungle - apps, pics, FW
    LLama - pics
    Me - typing this up
    DONT RIP

Edited by yungbol, 27 April 2009 - 04:43 PM.

#2 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

Samsung Drives

Ok, this drive type is very easy. You will need the following:
    • A compatible chipset (trial and error works, you can't mess anything up when just reading)
    • A SATA cable.
    • This download - yungbol's Sammy kit. Attached File  yungbol__s_kit.rar   2.33MB   407 downloads
    • A 32-bit OS.
    Step 1: Install PortIO32. Run the PortIO32.exe. If it says use manual install, then go to Start > Control Panel > Add New Hardware > Choose manually select file > Show all Devices > Have Disk > point to the file inside yungbol's kit\JungleFlasher with FW\manual install. Install that driver.

ibot1.png

Step 2: Shut down your computer. Hook your Xbox360 up like you normally would when playing (power cord and video cord). The Xbox needs to be opened, and next to your computer. The SATA cable in back of the drive should be unplugged, and insert the one that is connected to your computers SATA chipset like so:

IMG00205.JPG

Step 3: Now, power on your PC then wait a few seconds until it boots up and turn on the Xbox 360.

Step 4: Open up JungleFlasher.exe. Navigate to the MTKFlash32 tab. Search your I/O ports for the one that has your ms25 or ms28 in the Device Properties. Once you find it, it should look like so:

ibot2.png

Step 5: Once your info is there, click Sammy unlock. If you cannot find your info, change SATA ports, and if that doesn't work, then your chipset is not compatible or your PORTIO32 isn't installed.

Step 6: Make sure the drive is in Vendor Mode (0x70) and returned a good flash chip property; you can check under Flash Chip Properties, Drive Properties should show â??Drive in Vendor Mode!â?.

ibot3.png

Step 7:
    Click Read. Once it reads, it will ask you to save it. Save it somewhere safe, this is your original firmware file. Keep this. When it ask you to auto-load, click yes. It will bring you to the Firmtool32 tab.

Step 8: Confirm your keys are the same, and your info. Once that, click Save to file. After you save, navigate back to the MTKFlash32 tab.

ibot4.png

Step 9: Click Write. It will erase, and write your new firmware. Once that is verified OK, click Outro / ATA reset.

Step 10: YOU ARE DONE! Disconnect everything, hook it back up, and go burn some games!

Edited by yungbol, 27 April 2009 - 04:23 PM.

#3 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

BenQ Drives

Ok, this drive type is very easy as well. You will need the following:

• A compatible chipset (trial and error works, you can't mess anything up when just reading)
    • A SATA cable.
    • This download - yungbol's BenQ kit. Attached File  yungbol__s_kit.rar   2.33MB   404 downloads
    • A 32-bit OS.
    Step 1: Install PortIO32. Run the PortIO32.exe. If it says use manual install, then go to Start > Control Panel > Add New Hardware > Choose manually select file > Show all Devices > Have Disk > point to the file inside yungbol's kit\JungleFlasher with FW\manual install. Install that driver.

ibot1.png

Step 2: Shut down your computer. Hook your Xbox360 up like you normally would when playing (power cord and video cord). The Xbox needs to be opened, and next to your computer. The SATA cable in back of the drive should be unplugged, and insert the one that is connected to your computers SATA chipset like so:

IMG00205.JPG

Step 3: Now, power on your PC then wait a few seconds until it boots up and turn on the Xbox 360.

Step 4: Open up JungleFlasher.exe. Navigate to the MTKFlash32 tab. Search your I/O ports for the one that has your BenQ Device in the Device Properties. Once you find it, it should look like so:

ibot5.png

Step 5: Once your info is there, click BenQ unlock. If you cannot find your info, change SATA ports, and if that doesn't work, then your chipset is not compatible or your PORTIO32 isn't installed.

Step 6: Make sure the drive is in Vendor Mode (0x70) and returned a good flash chip property; you can check under Flash Chip Properties, Drive Properties should show â??Drive in Vendor Mode!â?.

ibot6.png

Step 7: Click Read. Once it reads, it will ask you to save it. Save it somewhere safe, this is your original firmware file. Keep this. When it ask you to auto-load, click yes. It will bring you to the Firmtool32 tab.

Step 8: Confirm your keys are the same, and your info. Once that, click Save to file. After you save, navigate back to the MTKFlash32 tab.

ibot7.png

Step 9: Click Write. It will erase, and write your new firmware. Once that is verified OK, click Outro / ATA reset.

Step 10: YOU ARE DONE! Disconnect everything, hook it back up, and go burn some games!

Edited by yungbol, 27 April 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#4 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

LiteOn Drives

Ok, this drive type is more difficult. You will need the following:
    • A SATA cable.
    • This download - yungbol's LiteOn kit. Attached File  yungbol__s_kit.rar   2.33MB   375 downloads
    • A 32-bit OS.
    • An Xecuter CK3 Connectivity Kit with Probe
    • Xecuter CK3 drivers (Vista, XP and lower)

ibot1.png

Step 2: Turn off your computer. Take the drive out of your Xbox360 and open it. Hook it up to your CK3 with probe. Turn your computer on and then when it boots turn on your CK3.

liteon.jpg

Step 3: Click eject on the CK3. Power the CK3 off, then manually push the tray half way back in. Then turn the CK3 back on. After that, open JungleFlasher, and go to the DVDKey32 tab. Select your proper COM and I/O ports and your drive will be displayed.

ibot8.png

Step 4: Insert your probe into the R707 hole and click Get Key, Create Dummy.bin, Open as Source. While it is reading, steadily hold your probe in place. It will make a few reads. Save your file somewhere, then click yes when the auto-load message pops up. It will take you to the FirmTool32 tab.

ibot10.png

Step 5: Make sure your keys are the same, and then click Save to File. Save it then navigate to the MTKFlash32 tab. Now, this part is no turning back. If you freeze during this step, your firmware will be deleted and not able to play. However, it is simple to reflash it in Dos, if you mess up here. Google will help you with that... Now, hit LiteOn erase. It will prompt you several times. As soon as you see the dots at the buttom saying erasing, power cycle the CK3 by turning it off and back on within 2 seconds.

ibot11.png

Step 6: You will now see the drive is in vendor mode. Now, just click write, it will write then when that is done click Outro / ATA Reset and you are done! You just flashed the most complicated drive in 6 steps!

Edited by yungbol, 27 April 2009 - 04:33 PM.

#5 SotG Caboose

SotG Caboose

TheMasterSnails Pimp!

• Donors+

• 827 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

Great post, nice detail.

#6 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Thanks, next drive I flash I will video it and add that as well.

#7 Jeehs

Jeehs

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 103 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Does this work with all 360's? Elites,Pro,Normal,Arcade..Etc

#8 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

Does this work with all 360's? Elites,Pro,Normal,Arcade..Etc

Yes sir.

Also, if anyone needs support I can offer it via Teamviewer, I helped KD do his over Teamviewer.

Edited by yungbol, 27 April 2009 - 05:06 PM.

#9 Korupt Data

Korupt Data

SoOoO KoRuPtAbLe

• Retired Staff

• 3,503 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

why didnt you just post them all in one post..

#10 Pargy

Pargy

WTF is a Pargy?

• VIP

• 1,466 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Very nice tutorials, i have always wanted to flash mine but when ever i turn my 360 when its connected to the sata card, my computer freezes.

#11 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

why didnt you just post them all in one post..

Much more organized with direct links to the actual tutorial. It would look horrible in one and tutorials would mix, etc. Believe me, it is not for post count.

#12 unknown v2

unknown v2

Corporal Grade 1

• Members+

• 153 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

Good job on the tutorials.

#13 Decatur

Decatur

I went from script kiddie to network engineer

• Retired Staff

• 2,475 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

Hitachi's make you wanna kill yourself.

#14 Lockon

Lockon

"I never asked for this"

• VIP

• 1,896 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

Nice post :) gonna flash my old xbox

#15 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hitachi's make you wanna kill yourself.

Exactly why I didn't do a tut, they are a pain in the ass. They aren't hard to flash, its just annoying with Mode B and there are so many different versions of the drive.

#16 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

Amazing tutorials and use of the formatting of text and uploaded images.

I got a Hitachi on one of my xboxes, haven't touched it yet. Seems too complicated.

#17 Decatur

Decatur

• Retired Staff

• 2,475 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Amazing tutorials and use of the formatting of text and uploaded images.

I got a Hitachi on one of my xboxes, haven't touched it yet. Seems too complicated.

Just think of it like this...

"If i can do it, you can"

but I think my modeB wore off, it opens in one click nao.

#18 yungbol

yungbol

Firmware Expert

• Global Mods

• 1,461 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

It doesn't stay in mode B. Once you write, you use the outro which takes it out.

#19 Decatur

Decatur

• Retired Staff

• 2,475 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:51 AM

It doesn't stay in mode B. Once you write, you use the outro which takes it out.

once it flahsed all i did was put everything back together and it eventually just wore off.

EDIT: it was a successful flash cause it reads burnt OX games.

Edited by Fatal Error, 29 April 2009 - 04:52 AM.

#20 Pargy

Pargy

WTF is a Pargy?

• VIP

• 1,466 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

Bump

This should be stuck