•  

• iBotModz CBox

Photo

HOWTO: Open the Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
    No replies to this topic

#1 Dark Master

Dark Master

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 81 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

How to Open the Xbox Console & Remove the HDD, DVD Rom, and Motherboard

--> Starting very simply, how to open the xbox. I'll pretty much say these aren't my photos (thanks google images) but I did put all the little circles and writing on them for explanation. I really don't own a camera and haven't gotten one to use for any of my photos so thats why I can't use my own photos. Anyway enjoy.

What Your Gonna Need
    -Torx 5, 10, 15, 20 (No you don't need all of them now, but now there your buying them will help out for all types of modding)
    -Xbox 1
    -The ability to want to break your warranty

Pre-start Notes: I would highly recommend disconnecting your Xbox from power for at least 2 hours before opening the case. The Xbox's PSU is a very high powered one and can store full electrical currents for a couple hours. For safety, wait at least 2 hours before you open your Xbox. Also as always, I am not responsible for any injury, damage, etc. to your xbox, yourself, other people, etc. Preform at your own risk.

Step One
    Take your Xbox and flip it over, then using your Torx 20 screw driver unscrew the 6 screws from the case.

Posted Image

Step Two
    After you have removed those 6 screws and voided your warranty turn the console back over (carefully!) and slowly slide the top of the case. What you'll see is on the left side is the DVD ROM drive and on the right is the HDD. We are going to have to remove those, but first we must disconnect some cables/ wires.

Posted Image

Step Three
    Okay now that we got the cables out of the way, we need to unscrew 3 different screws. So using your Torx 10 screwdriver unscrew these 3 screws, but remember you must unscrew the top center one(its under the IDE cable the you will have unlatched and detached from both the HDD and the DVD Rom Drive) first so that the HDD case may come out, you then may unscrew the other two releasing the DVD Rom case.

Posted Image

Step Four
    Finally you will be able to see the motherboard (left) and the PSU (right). In order to remove the motherboard your going to need to use your Torx 10 screwdriver and unscrew 11, yes 11 total screws.

Posted Image

Step Five
    Thats pretty much it... I didn't explain how to remove the PSU only because it really has almost no reason for coming out (unless your painting the case) but its not hard to find, I believe there are 2 or 3 screws that also will require a Torx 10 screwdriver, just look, find, and unscrew.

-Dark Master