• Please log in to reply
    11 replies to this topic

#1 360

Sergeant Grade 2

• Donors

• 373 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:11 AM

Posted Image

The new console’s name, Wii U, combines the contradictions built into this iteration: it is both a console for everyone and just for you, according to Reggie Fils-Aime, CEO of Nintendo of America. One of the main criticism of the Wii is that its games only appeal to casual gamers, so the mission this time around is to go “deeper and wider” — offer deeper, more immersive experiences and appeal to an even broader user base (read: hardcore gamers). Of course, the new interactive experiences couldn’t exist without the hardware to support them, which brings us to the new Wii U.

The new Wii U will support HD graphics in 1080p, run on IBM’s Power-based multi-core processor and embedded DRAM, feature an AV Multi Out connector and can hook up to your television via HDMI or S-video cables. According to the press release, the system is also backward compatible and can play all Wii games and use all Wii accessories. Because the console itself wasn’t demoed on stage at E3, details on the actual box are limited to the specs below:

• Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
    • Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic ControllerTM, Classic Controller ProTM and Wii Balance Board™.
    • Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
    • Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
    • Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
    • Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
    • CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.
    • Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
    According to Nintendo’s legendary game designer and Senior Managing Director Shigeru Miyamoto, he envisions the Wii U “to become a more fulfilling device” in living rooms.” That is why the controller can continue games to free up the television for other entertainment needs, and handle video chats on the same device.

This system is scheduled for release in 2012.

#2 blacklabelfosho

blacklabelfosho

Impossible is nothing

• Retired Staff

• 520 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

the controller is gnna be as expensive as the system with all those features..................... : /

#3 360

Sergeant Grade 2

• Donors

• 373 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

the controller is gnna be as expensive as the system with all those features..................... : /

Hopefully it won't be too expensive. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

#4 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

An engineer for embedded systems told me it would only cost about 50$ to make.

#5 360

Sergeant Grade 2

• Donors

• 373 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:17 AM

An engineer for embedded systems told me it would only cost about 50$ to make.

That's not too bad.

#6 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:27 AM

That's not too bad.

That doesn't involve Nintendo making any profit, but I'm sure they will on the system and games, so they need to make the controllers affordable to sell more consoles.

#7 360

Sergeant Grade 2

• Donors

• 373 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:46 AM

That doesn't involve Nintendo making any profit, but I'm sure they will on the system and games, so they need to make the controllers affordable to sell more consoles.

I'm pretty sure they will make a lot of money on the system and games, as you said. Hopefully controllers won't be much more expensive than the controllers they have for every console out there now. I'm thinking $35.00 - $40.00 would be a pretty good price. I was really hoping to get one of these consoles when they are released next year. They seem pretty interesting.

#8 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

I'm pretty sure they will make a lot of money on the system and games, as you said. Hopefully controllers won't be much more expensive than the controllers they have for every console out there now. I'm thinking $35.00 - $40.00 would be a pretty good price. I was really hoping to get one of these consoles when they are released next year. They seem pretty interesting.

I expect them to be sold at no profit, not at a loss.
    There's also word that you can only use 1, but most of that is speculation based on one thing that was said.

#9 360

Sergeant Grade 2

• Donors

• 373 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

I expect them to be sold at no profit, not at a loss.
    There's also word that you can only use 1, but most of that is speculation based on one thing that was said.

I hope you can't use just 1. That would be pretty disappointing!

#10 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

I hope you can't use just 1. That would be pretty disappointing!

I find it unlikely they wouldn't make it so you can use more.
    Good luck to third party controller clones though :p

#11 360

Sergeant Grade 2

• Donors

• 373 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

I find it unlikely they wouldn't make it so you can use more.
    Good luck to third party controller clones though :p

For the way it looks, it seems like it would be pretty hard to clone.

#12 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

For the way it looks, it seems like it would be pretty hard to clone.

That was my point ;)