16 replies to this topic

#1 Randomrocket

Randomrocket

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 796 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

Posted Image

Hey guys Im thinking about upgrading my stereo set-up and I'd like some help. Im not very knowledgeable about speakers and stuff. I know how to hook them up but idk some of the details.

Right now I have a Philips MCM530 stereo system that I got about 5 years ago for my birthday. lol. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I want to upgrade to 5.1 sound.

Im thinking about getting a YAMAHA 5.1-Channel Reciever (any thoughts or suggestions on this before I buy it?) and a Yamaha 100w subwoofer (same on this?)
    Im also going to get a pair of SONY bookshelf speakers to complete the 5.1 sound.

The questions I have is, would the speakers on my old Philips stereo be useful with this receiver or do they have different hertz or something?

Any suggestions? Im trying to stay on a budget, so I can't go out and buy over $600 of equipment. So any input would be really nice.

note: the receiver comes with an $80 promotional card if I buy it, so I could buy it and the speakers separately and save $80?

thanks

#2 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

idk, you can do what I did.... YARD SALES!!!! I grabbed an amp and 4 (big ass) speakers from a couple different yard sales for $30. Its not as great as a expensive home theater system... but the room shakes when an explosion happens in a game :p

#3 Randomrocket

Randomrocket

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 796 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

idk, you can do what I did.... YARD SALES!!!! I grabbed an amp and 4 (big ass) speakers from a couple different yard sales for $30. Its not as great as a expensive home theater system... but the room shakes when an explosion happens in a game :p

hmmmm. I haven't seen very many of them in my neighborhood, but if I do Ill be sure to check it out. thanks man.

#4 Quinn

Quinn

Colonel Grade 3

• Global Mods

• 2,323 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

hmmmm. I haven't seen very many of them in my neighborhood, but if I do Ill be sure to check it out. thanks man.

Just remember the golden rule: If it looks sketchy as hell, it probably is sketchy as hell.
    i.e. Don't buy shit ;)

#5 Randomrocket

Randomrocket

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 796 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

Just remember the golden rule: If it looks sketchy as hell, it probably is sketchy as hell.
    i.e. Don't buy shit ;)

yeah I knew that. lol. Thanks for the help man :good:

#6 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

Why not just buy some astros that's what I rock there 7.2(not many games play audio that high but they work perfect with 5.1) you can use then on almost anything I suggest you look around in local stores I managed to get a new 5.1 system for £30 just because the store was getting rid of old stock. I'll most some pics of it once I get my pc up and running and and my mix amp back.

#7 Randomrocket

Randomrocket

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 796 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

Why not just buy some astros that's what I rock there 7.2(not many games play audio that high but they work perfect with 5.1) you can use then on almost anything I suggest you look around in local stores I managed to get a new 5.1 system for £30 just because the store was getting rid of old stock. I'll most some pics of it once I get my pc up and running and and my mix amp back.

Headphones? they won't be useful during a movie or when we have a 16 player LAN

#8 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

Headphones could be usefull during a movi and whare as the LAN thing goes I doubt you will ever have a 16 way Match and all the diffrent audio comming out through the same device will just be a bunch of explosions alll the time.

#9 Randomrocket

Randomrocket

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 796 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

Headphones could be usefull during a movi and whare as the LAN thing goes I doubt you will ever have a 16 way Match and all the diffrent audio comming out through the same device will just be a bunch of explosions alll the time.

dude my friends and I have tons of LAN parties and the most we have had at my house at once was 22. :D that was so much fun playing Halo 3 like a couple months after it came out. haha

No. I want speakers. I want to be able to hear it outside my window. I want to be knocked off my feet when a grenade goes off and I want the neighbors to call the cops when a gun fires. :devil:

#10 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:27 AM

Hmm I shall look at the interwebz for you then.

Edit:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675427-REG/Samsung_HW_C770B_HW_C770B_7_1_Channel_Home.html

Edited by jmdalmighty, 21 September 2010 - 04:40 AM.

#11 Grape soda

Grape soda

Private

• Members+

• 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

Best Buy has some good subs for about $100 so you dont have to pay for shipping....

#12 Randomrocket

Randomrocket

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 796 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

Hmm I shall look at the interwebz for you then.

Edit:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675427-REG/Samsung_HW_C770B_HW_C770B_7_1_Channel_Home.html

hmmm. looks pretty good. Im looking for 5.1 to save money tho. Find me one thats 5.1 for cheaper?

Best Buy has some good subs for about $100 so you dont have to pay for shipping....

aight If I build my system I'll check there.

#13 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

I thaught that was in your price range.

#14 Randomrocket

Randomrocket

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 796 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

I thaught that was in your price range.

It is. And it looks nice, but the more money I save, the more money I can spend on other things, like gas.

#15 jmdalmighty

jmdalmighty

Admin

• VIP

• 1,242 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

Just look for that particular set on eBay or local stores i'm sure you'll find it $50-100 less if you look about.

#16 Randomrocket

Randomrocket

Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2

• VIP

• 796 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Just look for that particular set on eBay or local stores i'm sure you'll find it $50-100 less if you look about.

aight cool. Ill check out ebay. thanks man :)

#17 ATTIKIT

ATTIKIT

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 80 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

craigslist anybody XD