• Please log in to reply
    3 replies to this topic

#1 Pr3sT0

Pr3sT0

Apprentice Grade 1

• Members+

• 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

This is the support topic for the tutorial How to change your IP address. Please post here if you have any questions or feedback.

#2 Decatur

Decatur

I went from script kiddie to network engineer

• Retired Staff

• 2,475 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

This is how you PROPERLY change your IP.

1.Start => Run => CMD

2. use command Ipconfig /release (drops current connection information, IE IP address, subnet mask and default gateway, etc.) Yes, you are going to to lose your internet connection temporarily, but be calm it will come back.

3a. In XP, Start => Control Panel => My network connections => Right click on your current NIC => Properties => Double Click Internet Protocol
    3b. Windows Vista/7 start => Control Panel=> View Network Status and Tasks => Manage Network Connections => Right Click your NIC => Double Click Internet Protocol Version 4

4. You can change your IP to whatever you like, keep it under 254 per octet and above 1.

5. Your subnet mask will be automatically configured depending what kind of class IP you put in.

6. Press OK, settings should be fine. Double check, open CMD and use the command IPconfig /all

FOLLOWING THESE STEPS WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET, THE ONLY PURPOSE OF DOING THIS IS IF YOU ARE CONFIGURING A LAN/WAN. SO PRETTY MUCH USELESS TO 90% OF PEOPLE HERE. THIS DOES NOT CHANGE THE IP YOU USE WHEN YOU ACCESS THE INTERNET.

How to reconnect to the Internet.

1. Open CMD

2. command IPConfig /release

3 command IP Config /renew

That is how you ACTUALLY change your IP, it's not 17 steps. It's barely 5. Learn kid.

#3 XSChris

XSChris

Apprentice Grade 1

• Members+

• 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:52 AM

Actually just change your mac address on your router to whichever you like, I just copy address from the PC I'm on and edit a few values.

Most if not all dynamic IP cable ISP's should provide you with a new IP.

thats what 3 steps?

1) Login to router admin panel

2) Go to page to change mac address of the routers uplink interface, do it to your liking

3) Reboot modem and router to get new IP address

Your modem will grab the new mac and issue another IP most likely, atleast on Charter this works great and on a few other ISP's I know of, if you change the mac addy enough it'll change quite dramatically.

I've also found Charter gives you same dynamic IP for months or till you change mac addy.

#4 ErikFox

ErikFox

Recruit

• Members

• 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:01 AM

If your IP is dynamic, just shutdown your router for a few seconds and on it again. Your IP address will be changed automatically. That’s what i do.