• Please log in to reply
    13 replies to this topic

#1 USSR

USSR

Private

• Members+

• 46 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hello,due to recent progress made by people in the modding community I've come here to present a tutorial that teaches you how to mod the Halo Reach Beta
    Sadly I need say that this tutorial is limited to those who own an exploited console which is also called a "Jtag'ed" console.

Credits
    -Gael360: For his WxPirs Tool
    -Xenon.7: Coming back to finish another app. This time for Halo Reach
    -UnknownV2: Figuring out filename/string decryption, as well as removing checks in the XEX for strings. Also for editing Xenons original source to run RTH for Reach
    -Anthony: Past work in Halo 3 with Print Cam Debug Info, Screenshot, and a few other things.
    -Xbox7887: Force load map technique handed down from Halo 2 days.
    -Kornman00: His suprise pop ups to help the community with Halo 3.
    -Bungie: For their nostalgic series known as Halo
    -All others: who helped with plugin mapping.
    -USSR Sniper 01: Writing Tutorial

Tutorial
    Alright first there are some file you will need to download and some requirements that you will need to reach.
    • Downloads- Ascension- A tool used to mod Halo reach. Very Similar to Alteration and Wxpirs- a tool used to extract files form .live containers. FlashFXP Which is an FTP client used in this tutorial.
    • Requirements- This includes the you have an Exploited console with XexMenu installed and that your computer and your console are on the same network. If you can already FTP then this will not be a problem for you. You will also need some patients because some files may take some time to transfer.
    • A copy of Halo Reach- you should have it form the beta and that fine you may use that one it will work fine. If you do not have one then get it from the usual places.
    • Updated Files- The integrity of theses files haven't been edited at all. These are the files that I pulled from my Xbox that were confirmed working. So in other words this should fix any problems that you have. If the game will not load.
    Alright lets being by downloading Wxpirs so we can extract our Halo Reach from it's .live container.

1. Download the file from up top^
    2. Extract it contents to the desktop
    3. Run the program
    Posted Image

4. Make sure that you have your Halo reach files already on the desktop or somewhere reachable. As said before if you do not have Halo Reach then you need to get if from the Usual places and then continue.

Posted Image

6. Once you have your Halo reach file open in Wxpirs extract them to a folder of choice. For example "Halo Reach" If you need to find your Halo Reach in your HDD look in it for this address located in the picture above.

Posted Image

7. Alright if you have done everything correct you should have a Halo Reach Folder that looks similar to this picture below.

Posted Image

8.Now that you have made it this far Download Ascension from up top and extract it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

9.Once extracted the folder should look like this.

Posted Image

10. In the Ascension folder open up the folder called Xbox 360 Executables and copy its contents like so.
    Posted Image

11. Past the contents into the Halo Reach folder you extracted Halo Reach into. If done so correctly the folder will look like this one below. If you are asked to overwrite a file hit yes.

Posted Image

12. Alright now time to FTP the Halo Reach folder you made into your HDD Todo this you need to have Xex Menu installed and running on your Xbox in this process.

13. Once Flash FXP is installed and running go to Session>(Top Right)>then quick connect if done correctly is will look like this.

Posted Image

14. In quick connect enter the information. IP= Xbox 360 IP (Found in Xex Menu) Username and Pass is xbox and the port will always be 21

Posted Image

15. Once you are connected you will see an index such as the one below.

Posted Image

16. If you see somethign similar to the picture above then continue on to transferring your Halo Reach data. To do this simply drag and drop the Halo Reach folder you created with the extracted Halo Reach files in it to anywhere in /Hdd1/ Preferably I would use /Hdd1/Games/Halo Reach

17. Once the transfer is complete (Usually no longer then a few minutes) run the game via Xex Menu by navigating to the folder you placed it into and running the default.xex. If it will go to the esrb screen then your in good condition. Lean the game along at the Main menu.

18. Now it is time to use Ascension. First lets start by setting up the program.

19. Open the folder

Posted Image

20.Run Ascension then go to Edit>Setting

Posted Image

21.If do so correctly a screen such as the one below will pop up. For Xbox type use Jtag, Name use the Xbox ip you used for Flash FXP and For plugins use the directory found in your ascension folder.

Posted Image

22. Alright so your almost ready to do some modding. LEts take some time saving precautions by setting up a backup folder for your maps. To do this we will be making a folder called "Backup" in your Ascension directory for where you will place the un-modded maps from your Halo Reach Extraction just simply copy and past them into the backup folder. Do the same thing but just copy the maps folder into your ascension directory. This folder will be used to load your maps in ascension when you mod. So if you mess up a map you can just put the backup in its place.

Pics for Help
    Posted Image

Pics for Help
    Posted Image

Copying the maps
    Posted Image

Pasting the maps
    Posted Image

Ascension with backups in it
    Posted Image

23. If everything has went smoothly so far you can now load your Xbox into a Reach Map. To do this make sure that reach is running on your box like we installed it. Open ascension then go to Edit>Jtag>Map Loader Once open choose the map you want then hit Load. IF that goes correctly then your Xbox should freeze temporarily and you should be in the map you loaded.

Posted Image

Posted Image

24. Now go to File>Open Map> then navigate to your map folder that you place in ascension. Not the backup folder. You should have created a folder called maps in >Ascension -USSR/Ascension/Maps/(Map stuff in here) open the map that you are on and then make sure that tag editor is check marked like in the picture below. MOdify the make then hit save changes and then poke. Thats all there is to it, (Have Fun!)

Posted Image

Edited by USSR, 05 August 2010 - 04:50 AM.

#2 Rogue Modder

Rogue Modder

Class of 2008

• VIP

• 1,328 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

yo bro. I think you missed me in the credits. ;x

#3 gruntmods

gruntmods

Commander Grade 2

• Donors+

• 1,889 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

yo bro. I think you missed me in the credits. ;x

cant you rth now?

#4 TurdSnack

TurdSnack

Apprentice Grade 2

• Members+

• 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

When I go to launch any map it freezes like its going to launch it and then just loads the main menu. Anyone else having a similar problem? (btw I can launch the maps using the single forceload.xex files)

#5 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

^

That means you don't have Dash Launch installed.

#6 1800modder

1800modder

Private Grade 2

• Members+

• 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

When I go to launch any map it freezes like its going to launch it and then just loads the main menu. Anyone else having a similar problem? (btw I can launch the maps using the single forceload.xex files)

make sure ur in the splash screen or at the mainmenu saying play the beta or quit to dash.

Edit u can just poke changes and not save if you wish, and the ascension there can only do meta editor poke and not the meta tag grid poke for jtags.

and here you go for that xD

Attached Files

Edited by 1800modder, 13 July 2010 - 05:24 PM.

#7 TurdSnack

TurdSnack

Apprentice Grade 2

• Members+

• 12 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

^

That means you don't have Dash Launch installed.

I installed dash launch, My 360 starts Freestyle Dash upon boot up.

Edited by TurdSnack, 13 July 2010 - 06:53 PM.

#8 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

General Grade 6

• Owner

• 6,570 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

What mobo type?

and I assume your on freeboot.

#9 TurdSnack

TurdSnack

Apprentice Grade 2

• Members+

• 12 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

What mobo type?

and I assume your on freeboot.

Im using a Xenon, I got it working finally.
    My problem was that I was forgot to use PatchXEX on the default.xex before running it.
    Weird thing was that it ran just fine without patching just couldn't poke or force-load maps.

Edited by TurdSnack, 14 July 2010 - 12:20 PM.

#10 USSR

USSR

Private

• Members+

• 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:56 AM

Im using a Xenon, I got it working finally.
    My problem was that I was forgot to use PatchXEX on the default.xex before running it.

Do you all want me to re upload the package with a patched file?

#11 USSR

USSR

Private

• Members+

• 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:59 AM

K guys time for plugin mapping plox?
    Like a huge htread for updated stuff.

#12 TTG RYAN

TTG RYAN

Private

• Members+

• 45 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

i get e71 when i load this can some1 help me plz?

#13 USSR

USSR

Private

• Members+

• 46 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:42 AM

i get e71 when i load this can some1 help me plz?

Try re flashing your nand image.
    Also ill update the first post with the updated file. (Or ones that I just pulled from a working install)

#14 USSR

USSR

Private

• Members+

• 46 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:51 AM

Try re flashing your nand image.
    Also ill update the first post with the updated file. (Or ones that I just pulled from a working install)

Sorry for the double post.
    Updated files are in place. Look at top of first post.