Thistest indicates the type of Network Address Translation (NAT) that your router or gateway is using: Open, Moderate or Strict.
Devicesthat perform strict or moderate NAT can limit the ability of gamers to find each other, participate in sessions, or hear each other on XboxLive. If you're using a router or gateway with a moderate or strict NAT, replace it with an Xbox Live Compatible device.
What is NAT?
When multiple devices share a single Internet connection (a PC and an Xbox360 system, for instance), the networked devices typically rely on Network Address Translation (NAT) to prevent information traffic jams.
NAT is sometimes called Network Address and Port Translation (NAPT).
What does NAT do on Xbox Live?
We've defined three categories of NAT: open, moderate, and strict. Devices that perform strict or moderate NAT can limit the ability of gamers tofind each other, participate in multiplayer sessions, or hear each other on Xbox Live.
What does each NAT type mean?
The classification system boils down to something called a port-assignment policy.
- OpenNAT means that either the port-assignment policy is minimal or thedevice has a fully compliant version of UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)enabled by default.
- Moderate NAT means that the port-assignment policy is minimal, but the device is filtering addresses or ports.[/*:m:k68jcrbp]
- Strict NAT means the port-assignment policy is aggressive.[/*:m:k68jcrbp][list]What does NAT mean to me and my friends?
- Suppose you want to host an Xbox Live game and you're using a router that'sclassified as open. As the following table shows, you can be confident that your router's NAT type will not keep your friends (who may also beusing routers) from finding your session, hearing your voice, andenjoying a great game.
But let's say you're using a router that's a strict NAT. When you want to host a game, you now have something to consider. Anyone else who'sbehind a router that uses a moderate or strict NAT may not be able to connect to your session.
Let's look at one final example goingthe other direction: you joining someone else's game. Will you be able to participate fully with everyone in the game? If you have a moderateNAT on your home network, you can get an idea of what may happen by consulting the table. If the players you want to play with are usingstrict NATs, you will likely experience problems. You may not be able to hear them and they may not be able to hear you. Your Xbox 360 console may not be able to "see" those players at all.
NATs don't affect game lag, NATs are all about connecting to other players.
To fix: Written by iBotPeaches of iBotModz.net
- 1. Open your web browser
- 2. Type in your default gateway
- 3. You can find that out my typing "ipconfig" on command prompt
- 4. If that loads it should be a admin cp, of whichever type of router you have.
- 5. Find DMZ, Port Forwarding or Port Triggering, and newer routers (Virtual Servers) Any of those work.
- 6. Add the Port 88-88 and set it as UDP on the IP of your xbox.
- 7. Find the IP of your xbox, by turning it on, and going to System Tab, and looking at the IP line.
- 8. Add again Port 3074-3074 with UDP and the IP of your xbox
- 9. Add again Port 3074-3074 with TCP and the IP of your xbox
- 10. Now look for a menu called DMZ, and add the IP of your xbox to it, it will place it outside the router making your nat OPEN, OPEN allows you to connect to people as in strict makes people quote safer.